The Effects of Additive Outliers and Measurement Errors when Testing for Structural Breaks in Variance
This paper discusses the asymptotic and finite-sample properties of CUSUM-based tests for detecting structural breaks in volatility in the presence of stochastic contamination, such as additive outliers or measurement errors. This analysis is particularly relevant for financial data, on which these tests are commonly used to detect variance breaks. In particular, we focus on the tests by Inclán and Tiao [IT] (1994) and Kokoszka and Leipus [KL] (1998, 2000), which have been intensively used in the applied literature. Our results are extensible to related procedures. We show that the asymptotic distribution of the IT test can largely be affected by sample contamination, whereas the distribution of the KL test remains invariant. Furthermore, the break-point estimator of the KL test renders consistent estimates. In spite of the good large-sample properties of this test, large additive outliers tend to generate power distortions or wrong break-date estimates in small samples.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 73 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ|
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0305-9049|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van Dijk, Dick & Franses, Philip Hans & Lucas, Andre, 1999.
"Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 539-562, Sept.-Oct.
- van Dijk, D.J.C. & Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Lucas, A., 1996. "Testing for ARCH in the Presence of Additive Outliers," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 9659-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Deng, Ai & Perron, Pierre, 2008. "The Limit Distribution Of The Cusum Of Squares Test Under General Mixing Conditions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(03), pages 809-822, June.
- Ai Deng & Pierre Perron, 2006. "The Limit Distribution of the CUSUM of Squares Test Under General Mixing Conditions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2006-004, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Deng, Ai & Perron, Pierre, 2008. "A non-local perspective on the power properties of the CUSUM and CUSUM of squares tests for structural change," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 212-240, January.
- Ai Deng & Pierre Perron, 2005. "A Non-local Perspective on the Power Properties of the CUSUM and CUSUM of Squares Tests for Structural Change," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2005-047, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Ai Deng & Pierre Perron, 2007. "A Non-local Perspective on the Power Properties of the CUSUM and CUSUM of Squares Tests for Structural Change," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2007-019, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Elena Andreou, 2004. "The Impact of Sampling Frequency and Volatility Estimators on Change-Point Tests," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 2(2), pages 290-318.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2004. "The Impact of Sampling Frequency and Volatility Estimators on Change-Point Tests," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-25, CIRANO.
- Pagan, Adrian R. & Schwert, G. William, 1990. "Testing for covariance stationarity in stock market data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 165-170, June.
- Chen, Gongmeng & Choi, Yoon K. & Zhou, Yong, 2005. "Nonparametric estimation of structural change points in volatility models for time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 79-114, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)