Search Theory, Downward Money Wage Rigidity and the Micro Foundations of the Phillips Curve
The present paper has two aims. The first one concerns primarily an issue of method. I set up and analyse an explicitly stochastic model of the optimal behaviour of a firm, which recruits from a search labour market. The second aim of my paper concerns very much an issue of substance in economics. I show that when the firm is not allowed to decrease its money wage, its optimal response to lower unemployment is to increase its wage, if a plausible (and testable) condition with regard to its expected horizon is met. Hence search theory predicts the existence of a micro Phillips relation under plausible assumptions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1988|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leban, Raymond, 1982. "Employment and wage strategies of the firm over a business cycle," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 371-394, November.
- Yellen, Janet L, 1984. "Efficiency Wage Models of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 200-205, May.
- Steven A. Lippman, 1980. "Optimal Pricing to Retard Entry," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 723-731.
- Salop, S. C., 1973. "Wage differentials in a dynamic theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 321-344, August.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Watts, Martin, 1977. "Wage Dispersion, Job Vacancies and Job Search in Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(173), pages 23-35, February.
- Zuckerman, Dror, 1988. "Job search with general stochastic offer arrival rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 679-684, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.