Search Theory, Downward Money Wage Rigidity and the Micro Foundations of the Phillips Curve
The present paper has two aims. The first one concerns primarily an issue of method. I set up and analyse an explicitly stochastic model of the optimal behaviour of a firm, which recruits from a search labour market. The second aim of my paper concerns very much an issue of substance in economics. I show that when the firm is not allowed to decrease its money wage, its optimal response to lower unemployment is to increase its wage, if a plausible (and testable) condition with regard to its expected horizon is met. Hence search theory predicts the existence of a micro Phillips relation under plausible assumptions.
|Date of creation:||Dec 1988|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yellen, Janet L, 1984. "Efficiency Wage Models of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 200-205, May.
- Leban, Raymond, 1982. "Employment and wage strategies of the firm over a business cycle," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 371-394, November.
- Steven A. Lippman, 1980. "Optimal Pricing to Retard Entry," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 47(4), pages 723-731.
- Zuckerman, Dror, 1988. "Job search with general stochastic offer arrival rates," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 679-684, November.
- Eaton, B Curtis & Watts, Martin, 1977. "Wage Dispersion, Job Vacancies and Job Search in Equilibrium," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(173), pages 23-35, February.
- Salop, S. C., 1973. "Wage differentials in a dynamic theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 321-344, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0200. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.