Prospects for the Welfare State
It is useful to distinguish between exogenous and endogenous factors behind contemporary and expected future problems for the welfare state. This paper tries to identify major problems of both types and to indicate alternative reform possibilities to deal with them. At the same time as several governments struggle with such reforms, new demands on the welfare state emerge. Although the basic structure of today’s welfare-state arrangements certainly can be kept, the reforms required are sufficiently large to create considerable conflicts across interest groups.
|Date of creation:||18 Feb 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Institute for International Economic Studies, Stockholm University, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden|
Web page: http://www.iies.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ces:ifofor:v:12:y:2012:i:3:p:09-17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lindbeck, Assar & Palme, Mårten & Persson, Mats, 2009.
"Social Interaction and Sickness Absence,"
Research Papers in Economics
2009:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Assar Lindbeck & Marten Palme & Mats Persson, 2008. "Social Interaction and Sickness Absence," CESifo Working Paper Series 2215, CESifo Group Munich.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Palme, Mårten & Persson, Mats, 2007. "Social Interaction and Sickness Absence," Working Paper Series 725, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Assar Lindbeck & Sten Nyberg & Jörgen W. Weibull, 1999. "Social Norms and Economic Incentives in the Welfare State," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 114(1), pages 1-35.
- Skogman Thoursie, Peter, 2002.
"Reporting Sick: Are Sporting Events Contagious?,"
Research Papers in Economics
2002:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Lindbeck, Assar & Persson, Mats, 2002.
"The Gains from Pension Reform,"
712, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Baumol, William J, 1972. "Macroeconomics of Unbalanced Growth: Reply," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 150, March.
- Hans-Werner Sinn, 2011. "Introduction," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(3), pages 09-17, December.
- Assar Lindbeck & Sten Nyberg, 2006. "Raising Children to Work Hard: Altruism, Work Norms, and Social Insurance," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 121(4), pages 1473-1503.
- Lindbeck, Assar, 1982. "Tax Effects versus Budget Effects on Labor Supply," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(4), pages 473-89, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iiessp:0755. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hanna Christiansson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.