Screening stringency in the disability insurance program
We propose a strategy for assessing how the inflow to the disability insurance program has been governed over time. We analyze the ex-ante health of individuals entering the program, compared to individuals not entering the program in the same year, by using ex-post mortality. Applying the strategy to Sweden, we find large variation in the relative health of new beneficiaries compared to non-beneficiaries over time. Some of the fluctuations correspond well to formal changes to screening stringency. However, we also find large variation in health during periods when no changes to formal eligibility criteria have been pursued.
|Date of creation:||02 May 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Johansson, Per, Lisa Laun and Tobias Laun, 'Screening stringency in the disability insurance program' in The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, 2014, pages 873-891.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin S. Milligan & David A. Wise, 2012.
"Health and Work at Older Ages: Using Mortality to Assess the Capacity to Work across Countries,"
NBER Working Papers
18229, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Milligan & David Wise, 2013. "Health and Work at Older Ages: Using Mortality to Assess the Capacity to Work across Countries," Discussion Papers 13-012, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
- Karlström, Anders & Palme, Mårten & Svensson, Ingemar, 2008.
"The employment effect of stricter rules for eligibility for DI: Evidence from a natural experiment in Sweden,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 2071-2082, October.
- Karlström, Anders & Palme, Mårten & Svensson, Ingemar, 2008. "The Employment Effect of Stricter Rules for Eligibility for DI: Evidence from a Natural Experiment in Sweden," Research Papers in Economics 2008:3, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Mark Duggan & Scott A. Imberman, 2009. "Why Are the Disability Rolls Skyrocketing? The Contribution of Population Characteristics, Economic Conditions, and Program Generosity," NBER Chapters, in: Health at Older Ages: The Causes and Consequences of Declining Disability among the Elderly, pages 337-379 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kuhn, Andreas & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2010.
"Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8024, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas Kuhn & Jean-Philipe Wuellrich & Josef Zweimüller, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," NRN working papers 2010-08, The Austrian Center for Labor Economics and the Analysis of the Welfare State, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Andreas Kuhn & Jean-Philippe Wuellrich & Josef Zweimüller, 2010. "Fatal attraction? Access to early retirement and mortality," IEW - Working Papers 499, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Kuhn, Andreas & Wuellrich, Jean-Philippe & Zweimüller, Josef, 2010. "Fatal Attraction? Access to Early Retirement and Mortality," IZA Discussion Papers 5160, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Staubli, Stefan, 2011.
"The impact of stricter criteria for disability insurance on labor force participation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 95(9-10), pages 1223-1235, October.
- Staubli, Stefan, 2011. "The impact of stricter criteria for disability insurance on labor force participation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(9), pages 1223-1235.
- Parsons, Donald O, 1991. "Self-Screening in Targeted Public Transfer Programs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 859-76, August.
- David H. Autor & Mark G. Duggan, 2003. "The Rise In The Disability Rolls And The Decline In Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 157-205, February.
- Gruber, Jonathan & Kubik, Jeffrey D., 1997. "Disability insurance rejection rates and the labor supply of older workers," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 1-23, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2013_010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.