The importance of education for the reallocation of labor: evidence from Swedish linked employer-employee data 1986-2002
Using employer-employee data covering the whole Swedish economy over a uniquely long time period from 1986 to 2002, we examine how job flows and worker flows have been distributed both on an aggregate level and across educational levels. We find that job and worker flows vary by educational level, not only with respect to magnitude and variation, but with respect to direction as well. Our results show that analyses that do not account for the educational level of workers can be very misleading.
|Date of creation:||08 May 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:113:y:1998:i:3:p:809-834 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1994.
"A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States,"
NBER Working Papers
4726, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Baldwin & Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger, 1998. "A Comparison Of Job Creation And Job Destruction In Canada And The United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 347-356, August.
- Timothy Dunne & John Haltiwanger & John Baldwin, 1994. "A Comparison of Job Creation and Job Destruction in Canada and the United States," Working Papers 94-2, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Gómez-Salvador, Ramón & Messina, Julián & Vallanti, Giovanna, 2004.
"Gross job flows and institutions in Europe,"
Working Paper Series
0318, European Central Bank.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1996.
"The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments,"
NBER Working Papers
5551, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Abowd & Patrick Corbel & Francis Kramarz, 1999. "The Entry And Exit Of Workers And The Growth Of Employment: An Analysis Of French Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 170-187, May.
- Abowd, John M & Corbel, Patrick & Kramarz, Francis, 1997. "The Entry and Exit of Workers and the Growth of Employment: An Analysis of French Establishments," CEPR Discussion Papers 1765, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew J. Lindquist, 2005.
"Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality in Sweden,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 107(4), pages 711-735, December.
- Lindquist, Matthew J., 2005. "Capital-Skill Complementarity and Inequality in Sweden," Working Paper Series 2/2005, Swedish Institute for Social Research.
- Arai, Mahmood & Heyman, Fredrik, 2000. "Permanent and Temporary Labour: Job and Worker Flows in Sweden, 1989-1998," Working Paper 71, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Garibaldi, Pietro, 1998.
"Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 245-275, February.
- Boeri, Tito, 1996. "Is Job Turnover Countercyclical?," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(4), pages 603-25, October.
- Christopher L. Foote, 1998.
"Trend Employment Growth and the Bunching of Job Creation and Destruction,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1818, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Christopher L. Foote, 1998. "Trend Employment Growth and the Bunching of Job Creation and Destruction," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 809-834.
- Julia I. Lane & Alan G. Isaac & David W. Stevens, 1996. "Firm Heterogeneity and Worker Turnover," Labor and Demography 9602001, EconWPA.
- Helena Persson, 2004. "The Survival and Growth of New Establishments in Sweden, 1987-1995," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 23(5), pages 423-440, October.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1992. "Gross Job Creation, Gross Job Destruction, and Employment Reallocation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 819-863.
- Lundberg, Lars & Andersson, Linda & Gustafsson, Ola, 1998. "Structural Change, Competition and Job Turnover in the Swedish Manufacturing Industry 1964-96," Working Paper Series 148, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2007_014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margareta Wicklander)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.