Do university enrollment constraints affect education and earnings?
In most countries the number of places at the universities is restricted. This paper estimates the effect of university enrollment constraints in 1982 on years of education and earnings in Sweden 1981-96. The effect on educational attainment is related to labor market performance, to estimate the effect of education on earnings. The variation used is driven by discrete jumps in the admission selection to university. The results show that university enrollment constraints affect educational attainment over the entire period studied. In 1996, admitted applicants in 1982 have about one quarter of a year longer education than screened out applicants. The effect of enrollment constraints changes with time. In the end of the panel, admitted applicants in 1982 are no better off than screened out applicants. The estimated return to education in Sweden is very low, both with least square and instrumental variable techniques.
|Date of creation:||07 Oct 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IFAU, P O Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansson, Kerstin, 2002. "Labor market programs, the discouraged-worker effect, and labor force participation," Working Paper Series 2002:9, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Sacklén, Hans, 2002. "An evaluation of the Swedish trainee replacement schemes," Working Paper Series 2002:7, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Johansson, Kerstin, 2002. "Labor Market Programs, the Discouraged-Worker Effect, and Labor Force Participation," Working Paper Series 2002:16, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten T & Heckman, James J, 2002.
"Removing the veil of ignorance in assessing the distributional impacts of social policies,"
Working Paper Series
2002:2, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Carneiro, Pedro & Hansen, Karsten T. & Heckman, James J., 2002. "Removing the Veil of Ignorance in Assessing the Distributional Impacts of Social Policies," IZA Discussion Papers 453, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pedro Carneiro & Karsten T. Hansen & James J. Heckman, 2002. "Removing the Veil of Ignorance in Assessing the Distributional Impacts of Social Policies," NBER Working Papers 8840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johansson, Per & Palme, Mårten, 2001.
"Assessing the effect of public policy on worker absenteeism,"
Working Paper Series
2002:13, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Per Johansson & Mårten Palme, 2002. "Assessing the Effect of Public Policy on Worker Absenteeism," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 37(2), pages 381-409.
- Carling, Kenneth & Larsson, Laura, 2002. "Does early intervention help the unemployed youth?," Working Paper Series 2002:10, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Johansson, Kerstin, 2002. "Do labor market programs affect labor force participation?," Working Paper Series 2002:3, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- repec:rus:hseeco:10108 is not listed on IDEAS
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002.
"Does active labour market policy work? Lessons from the Swedish experiences,"
Working Paper Series
2002:4, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders & Hemström, Maria, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," Seminar Papers 700, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Lars Calmfors & Anders Forslund & Maria Hemström, 2002. "Does Active Labour Market Policy Work? Lessons from the Swedish Experiences," CESifo Working Paper Series 675, CESifo Group Munich.
- Broström, Göran & Palme, Mårten & Johansson, Per, 2002. "Economic incentives and gender differences in work absence behavior," Working Paper Series 2002:14, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Skans, Oskar Nordstrom, 2005.
"Age effects in Swedish local labor markets,"
Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 419-426, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2002_016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Fällgren)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.