Congestion and scarcity in scheduled transport modes
This is a draft text for a chapter in Handbook on Research Methods in Transport Economics and Policy to be published by Edward Elgar Publishing. It provides an overview of issues related to scarcity in scheduled transport modes with emphasis on railways. The paper separates the scarcity or time-tabling problem into two analytical parts. The first concerns the challenges related with finding an approximate solution to the mathematically challenging NP complete problem. The second generic problem is related to base the solution to this challenge on the operators’ value of each departure slot.
|Date of creation:||22 Nov 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.cts.kth.se/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brewer, Paul J. & Plott, Charles R., 1996.
"A binary conflict ascending price (BICAP) mechanism for the decentralized allocation of the right to use railroad tracks,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 857-886, October.
- Brewer, Paul J. & Plott, Charles R., . "A Binary Conflict Ascending Price (BICAP) Mechanism for the Decentralized Allocation of the Right to Use Railroad Tracks," Working Papers 887, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Borenstein, Severin, 1988. "On the Efficiency of Competitive Markets for Operating Licenses," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 103(2), pages 357-85, May.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1996. "Analyzing the Airwaves Auction," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 10(1), pages 159-175, Winter.
- Johnson Daniel & Nash Chris, 2008. "Charging for Scarce Rail Capacity in Britain: A Case Study," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 7(1), pages 1-24, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ctswps:2012_025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mats Berggren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.