Labor mobility and entrepreneurship: Who do new firms employ?
Entrepreneurship is often claimed to be important for generating employment. However, the empirical evidence on the relationship between entrepreneurship is not always convincing. Most of the studies that analyse the relationship between new firm formation and employment growth perform their analysis on cross-country or regional data. At the micro-level, we still know little about the labour dynamics and re-allocation effects induced by new firm formation. Which role do new firms play regarding labour reallocation? This paper intends to explore the individual and firm characteristics for employees in new Swedish firms. Do new firm start-ups absorb outsiders in the labour market or do they recruit employees from already incumbent firms? The paper use unique matched firm-employees dataset that makes it possible to link new firm formation and information about the individuals employed in these new firms. The empirical results indicate that the individual and firm characteristics associated with employees differ between new and incumbent firms. In particular, the share of immigrants, recently graduated employees and people entering the labor market is slightly higher in new firms. Hence, new firms might play a more important role for outsiders in the labor market.
|Date of creation:||24 May 2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies, Royal Institute of Technology, SE-100 44 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Romer, Paul M, 1986.
"Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Paul M Romer, 1999. "Increasing Returns and Long-Run Growth," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2232, David K. Levine.
- C. Praag & Peter Versloot, 2007. "What is the value of entrepreneurship? A review of recent research," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 29(4), pages 351-382, December.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 07-066/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- C. Mirjam van Praag & Peter H. Versloot, 2007. "What is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," Jena Economic Research Papers 2007-061, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena.
- van Praag, Mirjam C. & Versloot, Peter H., 2007. "What Is the Value of Entrepreneurship? A Review of Recent Research," IZA Discussion Papers 3014, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Albert Guangzhou Hu & Gary H. Jefferson, 2010. "Technology Policy for Sustained Asian Dynamism," Chapters,in: Asian Regionalism in the World Economy, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- David Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2004. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 949-959.
- Audretsch, David B. & Keilbach, Max, 2002. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-76, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Audretsch, David B & Keilbach, Max, 2003. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," CEPR Discussion Papers 3678, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David B. Audretsch & Max Keilbach, 2004. "Entrepreneurship Capital and Economic Performance," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-01, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Assar Lindbeck & Dennis J. Snower, 1989. "The Insider-Outsider Theory of Employment and Unemployment," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026262074x, December.
- Kristina Nyström, 2007. "Patterns and determinants of entry and exit in industrial sectors in Sweden," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 85-110, December.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Thulin, Per, 2009. "Labor Mobility, Knowledge Diffusion And Regional Growth," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 209, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- ., 2010. "Drug Discovery and Development Technologies," Chapters,in: Innovation and Commercialisation in the Biopharmaceutical Industry, chapter 5 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)