Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets
New international accounting standards require insurers to reflect the value of embedded options and guarantees in their products. Pric- ing techniques based on the Black & Scholes paradigm are often used, however, the hypotheses underneath this model are rarely met. We propose a framework that encompasses the most known sources of incompleteness. We show that the surrender option, joined with a wide range of claims embedded in insurance contracts, can be priced through our tool, and deliver hedging portfolios to mitigate the risk arising from their positions. We provide extensive empirical analysis to highlight the effect of incompleteness on the fair value of the option
|Date of creation:||31 Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: + 45 86 15 19 43
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/about/departments/bs.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David C. Porter & Carsten Tanggaard & Daniel G. Weaver & Wei Yu, 2008. "Dispersed Trading and the Prevention of Market Failure: the Case of the Copenhagen Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(2), pages 243-267.
- Weiyu Kuo & Chenghsien Tsai & Wei-Kuang Chen, 2003. "An Empirical Study on the Lapse Rate: The Cointegration Approach," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 70(3), pages 489-508.
- Anand, Amber & Tanggaard, Carsten & Weaver, Daniel G., 2009. "Paying for Market Quality," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(06), pages 1427-1457, December.
- Grosen, Anders & Lochte Jorgensen, Peter, 2000. "Fair valuation of life insurance liabilities: The impact of interest rate guarantees, surrender options, and bonus policies," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 37-57, February.
- Moore, Kristen S. & Young, Virginia R., 2003. "Pricing equity-linked pure endowments via the principle of equivalent utility," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 497-516, December.
- Antonio S. Mello & John E. Parsons, 1995. "Maturity Structure Of A Hedge Matters: Lessons From The Metallgesellschaft Debacle," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 8(1), pages 106-121.
- Kjetil Høyland & Stein W. Wallace, 2001. "Generating Scenario Trees for Multistage Decision Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 295-307, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:aarbfi:2007-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.