Time Charters with Purchase Options in Shipping: Valuation and Risk Management
The article studies the valuation and optimal management of Time Charters with Purchase Options (T/C-POPs), which is a specific type of asset lease with embedded options that is common in shipping markets. T/C-POPs are economically significant and sometimes account for more than half of the stock market value of listed shipping companies. The main source of risk in markets for maritime transportation is the freight rate, and we therefore specify a single-factor continuous time model for the dynamic evolution of freight rates that allows us to price a wide variety of freight rate-related derivatives including various forms of T/C-POPs using contingent claims valuation techniques. Our model allows for the derivation of closed valuation formulas for some simple freight rate derivatives, whereas the more complex ones are analysed using numerical (finite difference) procedures. We accompany our theoretical results with illustrative numerical examples as we proceed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 17 (2010)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Bartholdy & Dennis Olson & Paula Peare, 2007.
"Conducting Event Studies on a Small Stock Exchange,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 227-252.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Olson, Dennis & Peare, Paula, 2006. "Conducting event studies on a small stock exchange," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Trigeorgis, Lenos, 1996. "Evaluating leases with complex operating options," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 315-329, June.
- Goldenberg, David H., 1991. "A unified method for pricing options on diffusion processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 3-34, March.
- David C. Porter & Carsten Tanggaard & Daniel G. Weaver & Wei Yu, 2008. "Dispersed Trading and the Prevention of Market Failure: the Case of the Copenhagen Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(2), pages 243-267.
- Alesii, Giuseppe, 2005. "VaR in real options analysis," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(3-4), pages 189-208.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2006.
"Realized Bond-Stock Correlation: Macroeconomic Announcement Effects,"
2006-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2007. "Realized bond—stock correlation: Macroeconomic announcement effects," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 439-469, 05.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Ranaldo, Angelo, 2005. "Realized Bond-Stock Correlation: Macroeconomic Announcement Effects," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2005-05, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Roar Adland & Steen Koekebakker, 2007. "Ship Valuation Using Cross-Sectional Sales Data: A Multivariate Non-Parametric Approach," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(2), pages 105-118, June.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2008.
"Level-ARCH short rate models with regime switching: Bivariate modeling of US and European short rates,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 925-948, December.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2007. "Level-ARCH Short Rate Models with Regime Switching: Bivariate Modeling of US and European Short Rates," CREATES Research Papers 2007-05, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2005. "Level-ARCH Short Rate Models with Regime Switching: Bivariate Modeling of US and European Short Rates," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2005-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Consiglio, Andrea & De Giovanni, Domenico, 2007.
"Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets,"
Finance Research Group Working Papers
F-2007-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Andrea Consiglio & Domenico De Giovanni, 2010. "Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(4), pages 935-957.
- Jostein Tvedt†, 1997. "Valuation of VLCCs under income uncertainty," Maritime Policy & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 159-174, January.
- McConnell, John J. & Schallheim, James S., 1983. "Valuation of asset leasing contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 237-261, August.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Juanna Shröter Joensen & Jesper Rangvid, 2005.
"Do More Economists Hold Stocks?,"
Economics Working Papers
2005-06, Department of Economics and Business Economics, Aarhus University.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Mateus, Cesário, 2006. "Debt and Taxes: Evidence from bank-financed unlisted firms," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Adland, Roar & Cullinane, Kevin, 2006. "The non-linear dynamics of spot freight rates in tanker markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 211-224, May.
- Anand, Amber & Tanggaard, Carsten & Weaver, Daniel G., 2009. "Paying for Market Quality," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(06), pages 1427-1457, December.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:17:y:2010:i:5:p:399-430. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.