Volatility and realized quadratic variation of differenced returns : A wavelet method approach
This paper analyzes some asymptotic results for an alternative estimator of integrated volatility in a continuous-time diffusion process of high frequency data (used in asset pricing finance). The estimator, which is computationally efficient, is based on the quadratic variation of the second order log-price differences. This is contrary to the well known realized quadratic variation of intra daily returns (which is based on first order log-price differences). This latter is known as realized volatility. Analytically, the asymptotics of the proposed estimator is compared to the usual realized volatility estimators. Lastly, we provide some simulation experiments to illustrate the results.
|Date of creation:||01 Aug 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Fax: + 45 86 15 19 43
Web page: http://www.asb.dk/about/departments/bs.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David C. Porter & Carsten Tanggaard & Daniel G. Weaver & Wei Yu, 2008. "Dispersed Trading and the Prevention of Market Failure: the Case of the Copenhagen Stock Exchange," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 14(2), pages 243-267.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2006.
"Realized Bond-Stock Correlation: Macroeconomic Announcement Effects,"
2006-02, Swiss National Bank.
- Charlotte Christiansen & Angelo Ranaldo, 2007. "Realized bond—stock correlation: Macroeconomic announcement effects," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 27(5), pages 439-469, 05.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Ranaldo, Angelo, 2005. "Realized Bond-Stock Correlation: Macroeconomic Announcement Effects," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2005-05, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2008.
"Level-ARCH short rate models with regime switching: Bivariate modeling of US and European short rates,"
International Review of Financial Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 925-948, December.
- Charlotte Christiansen, 2007. "Level-ARCH Short Rate Models with Regime Switching: Bivariate Modeling of US and European Short Rates," CREATES Research Papers 2007-05, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Christiansen, Charlotte, 2005. "Level-ARCH Short Rate Models with Regime Switching: Bivariate Modeling of US and European Short Rates," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2005-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Barucci, Emilio & Reno, Roberto, 2002. "On measuring volatility of diffusion processes with high frequency data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 371-378, February.
- Christiansen, Charlotte & Joensen, Juanna Schröter & Rangvid, Jesper, 2005.
"Do More Economists Hold Stocks?,"
Finance Research Group Working Papers
F-2005-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Maria Elvira Mancino & Paul Malliavin, 2002. "Fourier series method for measurement of multivariate volatilities," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 49-61.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Mateus, Cesário, 2006. "Debt and Taxes: Evidence from bank-financed unlisted firms," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Asger Lunde & Esben Hoeg, 2003. "Wavelet Estimation of Integrated Volatility," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 274, Society for Computational Economics.
- Hull, John C & White, Alan D, 1987. " The Pricing of Options on Assets with Stochastic Volatilities," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(2), pages 281-300, June.
- Jan Bartholdy & Dennis Olson & Paula Peare, 2007.
"Conducting Event Studies on a Small Stock Exchange,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 227-252.
- Bartholdy, Jan & Olson, Dennis & Peare, Paula, 2006. "Conducting event studies on a small stock exchange," Finance Research Group Working Papers F-2006-03, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Consiglio, Andrea & De Giovanni, Domenico, 2007.
"Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets,"
Finance Research Group Working Papers
F-2007-02, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Andrea Consiglio & Domenico De Giovanni, 2010. "Pricing the Option to Surrender in Incomplete Markets," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 77(4), pages 935-957.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Anand, Amber & Tanggaard, Carsten & Weaver, Daniel G., 2009. "Paying for Market Quality," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(06), pages 1427-1457, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhb:aarbfi:2008-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helle Vinbaek Stenholt)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.