International Similarities of Bank Lending Practices and Varieties of Insolvency Laws: a Comparative Analysis of France and Germany
Economic theory conjectures complementarities between the ranking of creditors in formal insolvency proceedings and the use of collateral in bank loan contracts as well as the existence of relational compared to arm’s length lending. In this paper we seek evidence for these hypotheses taking France and Germany as examples which differ significantly concerning the ranking of in particular secured creditors. On closer scrutiny of empirical studies as well as statistical information we can neither confirm that a high priority for se-cured lenders explains an excessive use of collateral in bank loans nor that a priority for inside collateral promotes relational lending. Regarding relational lending we point to variables lying outside the insolvency law, like culture and history.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/dwp|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- João A. C. Santos & Stanley D. Longhofer, 1998.
"The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending,"
BIS Working Papers
58, Bank for International Settlements.
- Longhofer, Stanley D. & Santos, Joao A. C., 2000. "The Importance of Bank Seniority for Relationship Lending," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 57-89, January.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A. C. Santos, 1999. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Proceedings 620, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stanley D. Longhofer & João A.C. Santos, 1998. "The importance of bank seniority for relationship lending," Working Paper 9808, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Claire Lelarge & David Sraer & David Thesmar, 2010.
"Entrepreneurship and Credit Constraints: Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program,"
in: International Differences in Entrepreneurship, pages 243-273
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- C. Lelarge & D. Sraer & D. Thesmar, 2008. "Entrepreurship and Credit Constraints - Evidence from a French Loan Guarantee Program," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2008-07, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Korting, Timm, 1998. "Lending relationships in Germany - Empirical evidence from survey data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1317-1353, October.
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998.
"Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1283-1316, October.
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998. "Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/05, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Agnès Fimayer & Jean-Daniel Guigou, 2007.
"Financial versus Social Efficiency of Corporate Bankruptcy Law: the French Dilemma?,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
07-02, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Régis Blazy & Bertrand Chopard & Agnès Fimayer & Jean-Daniel Guigou, 2009. "Financial versus Social Efficiency of Corporate Bankruptcy Law: the French Dilemma?," Working Papers of BETA 2009-12, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Hoffman, Philip T. & Postel-Vinay, Gilles & Rosenthal, Jean-Laurent, 1992. "Private Credit Markets in Paris, 1690–1840," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 52(02), pages 293-306, June.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1995.
"Financial markets, intermediaries, and intertemporal smoothing,"
95-4, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1997. "Financial Markets, Intermediaries, and Intertemporal Smoothing," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(3), pages 523-46, June.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1996. "Financial Markets, Intermediaries and Intertemporal Smoothing," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 96-33, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, 1995. "Financial Markets, Intermediaries, and Intertemporal Smoothing," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 95-02, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Helmut Bester, 1990.
"The Role of Collateral in a Model of Debt Renegotiation,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0001, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Bester, Helmut, 1994. "The Role of Collateral in a Model of Debt Renegotiation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(1), pages 72-86, February.
- Bester, H., 1990. "The Role Of Collateral In A Model Of Debt Renegotiation," Papers 9060, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Bester, H., 1990. "The Role of Collateral in a Model of Debt Renegotiation," Discussion Paper 1990-60, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Rajan, Raghuram & Winton, Andrew, 1995. " Covenants and Collateral as Incentives to Monitor," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(4), pages 1113-46, September.
- Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Hart, Oliver & Djankov, Simeon, 2008.
"Debt Enforcement Around the World,"
2961825, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Welch, Ivo, 1997. "Why Is Bank Debt Senior? A Theory of Asymmetry and Claim Priority Based on Influence Costs," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1203-36.
- Boot, Arnoud W. A., 2000. "Relationship Banking: What Do We Know?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 7-25, January.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 2003.
"Banks and Markets: the Changing Character of European Finance,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3865, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Luigi Zingales & Raghuram G. Rajan, 2003. "Banks and Markets: The Changing Character of European Finance," NBER Working Papers 9595, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cieply, S. & Dejardin, M.A.F.G., 2009. "Entrepreneurial Finance in France: The Persistent Role of Banks," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2009-056-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Sergei A. Davydenko & Julian R. Franks, 2008. "Do Bankruptcy Codes Matter? A Study of Defaults in France, Germany, and the U.K," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 63(2), pages 565-608, 04.
- Timothy W. Guinnane, 2002. "Delegated Monitors, Large and Small: Germany's Banking System, 1800–1914," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(1), pages 73-124, March.
- Michel Goyer, 2001. "Corporate Governance And The Innovation System In France 1985-2000," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 135-158.
- Caroline Fohlin, 2005. "The History of Corporate Ownership and Control in Germany," NBER Chapters, in: A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers, pages 223-282 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hep:macppr:201203. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ulrich Fritsche)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.