The Greek Fiscal Crisis and the Role of Fiscal Governance
In view of the growing attention paid to the role of fiscal governance in budgetary outcomes, this paper tries to shed light on the link between the recent Greek fiscal crisis and aspects of fiscal governance. It reviews fiscal developments in Greece over the last decade and challenges the widely held view that optimistic macroeconomic forecasts adopted by the Greek government, as well as three international organisations, were responsible for unrealistic fiscal deficit forecasts. Instead, the weak domestic institutional budget framework and the ineffectiveness of international organizations to act as signaling mechanisms emerge as the main reasons for weak fiscal performance. In this light, the paper puts forward some ideas for improving the domestic institutional framework for conducting fiscal policy in Greece.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Bird, 2008.
"Tax Challenges Facing Developing Countries,"
International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU
paper0802, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Thiess Buettner & Björn Kauder, 2009.
"Revenue Forecasting Practices: Differences across Countries and Consequences for Forecasting Performance,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2628, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thiess Buettner & Bjoern Kauder, 2010. "Revenue Forecasting Practices: Differences across Countries and Consequences for Forecasting Performance," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 313-340, 09.
- Larch, Martin & Turrini, Alessandro, 2008.
"Received wisdom and beyond: Lessons from fiscal consolidations in the EU,"
20604, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Larch & Alessandro Turrini, 2011. "Received Wisdom and Beyond: Lessons from Fiscal Consolidation in the EU," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 217(1), pages R1-R18, July.
- Martin Larch & Alessandro Turrini, 2008. "Received wisdom and beyond: Lessons from fiscal consolidation in the EU," European Economy - Economic Papers 320, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Efi Vraniali, 2010. "Rethinking Public Financial Management and Budgeting in Greece: time to reboot?," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 37, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Vassilis Th. Rapanoss & Georgia Kaplanoglou, 2010. "Independent Fiscal Councils and Their Possible Role in Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 33, pages 7-20, May.
- van Riet, Ad, 2010. "Euro area fiscal policies and the crisis," Occasional Paper Series 109, European Central Bank.
- Alberto Alesina & Ricardo Hausmann & Rudolf Hommes & Ernesto Stein, 1996.
"Budget Institutions and Fiscal Performance in Latin America,"
NBER Working Papers
5586, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alesina, Alberto & Hausmann, Ricardo & Hommes, Rudolf & Stein, Ernesto, 1999. "Budget institutions and fiscal performance in Latin America," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 253-273, August.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Alberto Alesina & Rudolf Hommes & Ernesto H. Stein, 1998. "Budget Institutions and Fiscal Performance in Latin America," Research Department Publications 4160, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Stein, Ernesto & Hommes, Rudolf & Hausmann, Ricardo & Alesina, Alberto, 1999. "Budget Institutions and Fiscal Performance in Latin America," Scholarly Articles 4553021, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2006.
"Improving fiscal policy in the EU: the case for independent forecasts,"
CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 21(47), pages 491-534, 07.
- Lars Jonung & Martin Larch, 2004. "Improving fiscal policy in the EU: the case for independent forecasts," European Economy - Economic Papers 210, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Xavier Debrun & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2007. "The Discipline-Enhancing Role of Fiscal Institutions: Theory and Empirical Evidence," IMF Working Papers 07/171, International Monetary Fund.
- Charles Wyplosz, 2005. "Fiscal Policy: Institutions versus Rules," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 191(1), pages 64-78, January.
- Anna Iara & Guntram B. Wolff, 2010. "Rules and risk in the euro area: does rules-based national fiscal governance contain sovereign bond spreads?," European Economy - Economic Papers 433, Directorate General Economic and Financial Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Jorge Martinez-Vazquez, 2001. "Mexico: An Evaluation of the Main Features of the Tax System," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0112, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Calmfors, Lars, 2010. "The Role of Independent Fiscal Policy Institutions," Seminar Papers 767, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Barry Eichengreen & Ricardo Hausmann & JÃ¼rgen Von Hagen, 1999. "Reforming Budgetary Institutions in Latin America: The Case for a National Fiscal Council," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 415-442, October.
- Mark Hallerberg & Guntram Wolff, 2008. "Fiscal institutions, fiscal policy and sovereign risk premia in EMU," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 136(3), pages 379-396, September.
- Barry Anderson, 2009. "The changing role of parliament in the budget process," OECD Journal on Budgeting, OECD Publishing, vol. 9(1), pages 1-11.
- Jürgen Hagen, 2010. "Sticking to fiscal plans: the role of institutions," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 144(3), pages 487-503, September.
- Anwar Shah, 2007. "Budgeting and Budgetary Institutions," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6667.
- Xavier Debrun & David Hauner & Manmohan S. Kumar, 2009. "Independent Fiscal Agencies," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(1), pages 44-81, 02.
- Efi Vraniali, 2010. "Rethinking public financial management and budgeting in Greece: time to reboot?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 29097, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Robert P. Hagemann, 2010. "Improving Fiscal Performance Through Fiscal Councils," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 829, OECD Publishing.
- repec:ttp:iibwps:12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Maureen Kidd & William Joseph Crandall, 2006. "Revenue Authorities: Issues and Problems in Evaluating their Success," IMF Working Papers 06/240, International Monetary Fund.
- Krogstrup, Signe & Wyplosz, Charles, 2010. "A common pool theory of supranational deficit ceilings," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 269-278, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hel:greese:48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.