Rethinking public financial management and budgeting in Greece: time to reboot?
This paper addresses the budgeting challenges posed at a national level especially at a time of fiscal crisis and suggests some policy prescriptions to improve the functioning of the Greek public financial system. It focuses on the Public Financial Management and budgeting framework. In that regard, the paper highlights the need for a strategic and comprehensive review of the system as a whole and stresses the importance of a coordinated and phased approach for the overhaul of the various system components. A set of tools and methods for reform is presented and analyzed aiming at a convergence with international best practices over the long run.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: LSE Library Portugal Street London, WC2A 2HD, U.K.|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nikolaos Zahariadis, 2007. "Subsidising Europe’s industry: is Greece the exception?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5633, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Stelios Stavridis, 2007. "Anti-Americanism in Greece: reactions to the 11-S, Afghanistan and Iraq," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 06, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Dionyssis G. Dimitrakopoulos, 2007. "Institutions and the implementation of EU public policy in Greece: the case of public procurement," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 02, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2007.
"Economic policy in EMU: community framework and national strategies - focus on Greece,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
5631, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2007. "Economic Policy in EMU: Community Framework and National Strategies – focus on Greece," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 04, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Christos J. Paraskevopoulos, 2007. "Social Capital and Public Policy in Greece," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 09, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Nikolaos Zahariadis, 2007. "Subsidising Europe’s Industry: is Greece the exception?," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 03, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:29097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.