Growing Together? – Prospects for Economic Convergence and Reunification in Cyprus
Policy-makers have increasingly come to focus on the role of economic factors in fuelling or dampening regional and border conflicts. This issue can be highly relevant in the case of nonrecognized entities where some economic interests may benefit from the resulting distortions while others would gain if the political situation were regularised. The experience in Cyprus is interesting in this regard, as it seems that economic factors probably played a significant role in the referenda results of April 2004. Against this backdrop, this paper explores the prospects and priorities in Cyprus by addressing a number of relevant theoretical and policy questions, including: the potential influence of economic factors on conflict resolution; the role played by economics in the failure of the Spring 2004 discussions; the question of the income disparity between north and south; and the synergies that could be unlocked in a converging intra-Cyprus economy.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE|
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/europeanInstitute/research/hellenicObservatory/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodoros Papaspyrou, 2004. "EMU strategies: lessons from Greece in view of EU enlargement," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5687, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2004. "EMU Strategies: Lessons from Past Experience in View of EU Enlargement," Working Papers 11, Bank of Greece.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2007.
"Economic Policy in EMU: Community Framework and National Strategies – focus on Greece,"
GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe
04, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2007. "Economic policy in EMU: community framework and national strategies - focus on Greece," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 5631, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Vassilis Monastiriotis & Achilleas Tsamis, 2007. "Greece’s new Balkan Economic Relations: policy shifts but no structural change," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 01, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
- Dionyssis G. Dimitrakopoulos, 2007. "Institutions and the implementation of EU public policy in Greece: the case of public procurement," GreeSE – Hellenic Observatory Papers on Greece and Southeast Europe 02, Hellenic Observatory, LSE.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hel:greese:07. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vassilis Monastiriotis)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.