Independent Fiscal Councils and Their Possible Role in Greece
There is a growing interest in the role of independent fiscal councils in strengthening the incentives for fiscal discipline and improving fiscal performance. This paper discusses the motivation for the establishment of such councils and draws on the existing literature and the range of fiscal councils in OECD countries to discuss their key functions. In light of the recent fiscal crisis in Greece, the paper examines the potential role of such a council in enhancing fiscal transparency and accountability in the conduct of fiscal policy and sets out the conditions under which this role can be played effectively.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Theodore M. Mitrakos & Nicholas G. Zonzilos, 2006. "The impact of exogenous shocks on the dynamics and persistence of inflation: a macroeconomic model-based approach for Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 26, pages 37-57, January.
- Panayiotis Kapopoulos & Sophia Lazaretou, 2007. "Foreign bank presence: the experience of South-East European countries during the transition process," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 29, pages 7-35, October.
- Balfoussia Hiona, 2008. "Stock market integration-the athens exchange in the european financial market," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 30, pages 29-55, May.
- Sofia Lazaretou, 2004. "Monetary System and Macroeconomic Policy in Greece, 1833-2003," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 22, pages 33-65, January.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Ioannis G. Asimakopoulos & Evangelia A. Georgiou, 2005. "The effect of merger and acquisition announcement on Greek bank stock returns," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 24, pages 27-44, January.
- Gibson, Heather D. & Lazaretou, Sophia, 2001. "Leading inflation indicators for Greece," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 325-348, August.
- Heather D. Gibson, 2005. "Greek Banking Profitability: recent developments," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 24, pages 7-25, January.
- Christos Papazoglou, 2009. "Is Greece's export performance really low?," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 32, pages 27-37, May.
- Sophia LAZARETOU, 2010. "Money Supply and Greek Historical Monetary Statistics: Definition, Construction, Sources and Data," Economies et Sociétés (Serie 'Histoire Economique Quantitative'), Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), issue 41, pages 47-68, January.
- Theodoros S. Papaspyrou, 2004. "EMU strategies for new Member States: the role of Exchange Rate Mechanism II," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 23, pages 7-25, July.
- Pavlos Petroulas, 2008. "Foreign Direct Investment in Greece: Productivity and Spillover effects," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 31, pages 31-48, November.
- Athanasios Tagkalakis, 2009. "Fiscal adjustments and asset price movements," Working Papers 104, Bank of Greece.
- Nikos G. Zonzilos & Zacharias G. Bragoudakis & Georgia I. Pavlou, 2009. "An analysis of the reliability of first (flash) quarterly national account data releases for Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 32, pages 39-51, May.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Sophocles N. Brissimis, 2004. "The effect of mergers and acquisitions on bank efficiency in Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 22, pages 7-31, January.
- Ioannis Theodosiou & Konstantinos Pouliakas, 2005. "Socio-economic differences in the job satisfaction of high-paid and low-paid workers in Greece," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 24, pages 83-115, January.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Ioannis Asimakopoulos G. & Konstantinos Siriopoulos P., 2006. "External Financing, Growth and capital structure of the firms listed on the Athens Exchange," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, issue 26, pages 59-77, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bog:econbl:y:2010:i:33:p:7-20. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.