Initial reforms and dynamics of transition
This article analyses the impact on the labor market of the transition from a state-controlled economy towards a market economy. We consider a dynamic matching-model with a declining and an emerging competitive sector. We show that there are two opposite strategies in the move towards a market economy: a massive decrease in employment or a small decrease in employment in the non-competitive sector. We find that the transition is achieved faster with a big reduction in state employment than with a small one. Surprisingly, the end of transition is also characterized by lower unemployment when there are massive layoffs - because in the short run, the high unemployment implied by the massive decrease makes job creation in the competitive sector more profitable. In fact, this seems to have been the way chosen by most of the CEECs.
|Date of creation:||13 Apr 2012|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00687532|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartmut Lehmann & Patrick Paul Walsh, 1999. "Gradual restructuring and Structural Unemployment in Poland. A Legacy of Central Planning," LICOS Discussion Papers 7899, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jurajda, Stepán & Terrell, Katherine, 2008. "Job Reallocation in Two Cases of Massive Adjustment in Eastern Europe," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 2144-2169, November.
- Ariane Tichit, 2006.
"The optimal speed of transition revisited,"
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2001.
"Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
384, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tito Boeri & Katherine Terrell, 2002. "Institutional Determinants of Labor Reallocation in Transition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 51-76, Winter.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Zuzana Brixiova, 1998.
"Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment Dynamics in Transition Economies,"
IMF Staff Papers,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 45(2), pages 269-308, June.
- Pietro Garibaldi & Zuzana Brixiova, 1997. "Labor Market Institutions and Unemployment Dynamics in Transition Economies," IMF Working Papers 97/137, International Monetary Fund.
- Berglöf, Erik & Bruynooghe, Lise & Harmgart, Heike & Sanfey, Peter & Schweiger, Helena & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2010. "European Transition at Twenty," Working Paper Series wp2010-91, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Micael Castanheira De Moura & Gérard Roland, 2000.
"The optimal speed of transition: a general equilibrium analysis,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/10011, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gerard, 2000. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(1), pages 219-239, February.
- Castanheira, Micael & Roland, Gérard, 1996. "The Optimal Speed of Transition: A General Equilibrium Analysis," CEPR Discussion Papers 1442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- H. Lehmann & A. Muravyev, 2011.
"Labor markets and labor market institutions in transition economies,"
wp783, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Lehmann, Hartmut & Muravyev, Alexander, 2011. "Labor Markets and Labor Market Institutions in Transition Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 5905, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giulia Faggio, 2007.
"Job Destruction, Job Creation and Unemployment in Transition Countries: What Can We Learn?,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0798, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Giulia Faggio, 2007. "Job destruction, job creation and unemployment in transition countries: what can we learn?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19716, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Francesco Pastore, 2008.
"Mind The Gap: Unemployment In The New Eu Regions,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(1), pages 73-113, 02.
- Boeri, Tito & Macis, Mario, 2010. "Do unemployment benefits promote or hinder job reallocation?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 109-125, September.
- Sergio Godoy & Joseph Stiglitz, 2006. "Growth, Initial Conditions, Law and Speed of Privatization in Transition Countries: 11 Years Later," NBER Working Papers 11992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00687532. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.