Influence and Social Tragedy in Networks
We model agents in a network game of strategic complements and negative externalities. Sufficient conditions for the existence of a unique Nash equilibrium and of a unique social optimum are established. Under these conditions, we find that players with more vulnerable locations in the network exert more effort at equilibrium, and that the most influential players should exert less effort at efficiency. We then find structural conditions under which each player exerts strictly more effort than her efficient level, whether the social optimum be interior or not.
|Date of creation:||06 Jan 2014|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00924017|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Kennan, 2001.
"Uniqueness of Positive Fixed Points for Increasing Concave Functions on Rn: An Elementary Result,"
Review of Economic Dynamics,
Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 4(4), pages 893-899, October.
- Kennan,J., 2001. "Uniqueness of positive fixed points for increasing concave functions on Rn : an elementary result," Working papers 2, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Yann Rébillé & Lionel Richefort, 2012.
"Equilibrium Existence and Uniqueness In Network Games with Additive Preferences,"
- Rébillé, Yann & Richefort, Lionel, 2014. "Equilibrium existence and uniqueness in network games with additive preferences," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 232(3), pages 601-606.
- Yann Rébillé & Lionel Richefort, 2012. "Sharing Water from many Rivers," Working Papers hal-00678997, HAL.
- Allouch, Nizar, 2015.
"On the private provision of public goods on networks,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 157(C), pages 527-552.
- Nizar Allouch, 2012. "On the Private Provision of Public Goods on Networks," Working Papers 689, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Nizar Allouch, 2012. "On the Private Provision of Public Goods on Networks," Working Papers 2012.40, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Acharya, Avidit & Ramsay, Kristopher W., 2013. "The Calculus of the Security Dilemma," Quarterly Journal of Political Science, now publishers, vol. 8(2), pages 183-203, April.
- Baumol,William J. & Oates,Wallace E., 1988.
"The Theory of Environmental Policy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521311120, December.
- Veblen, Thorstein, 1899. "The Theory of the Leisure Class," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number veblen1899.
- Frank, Robert H, 1985. "The Demand for Unobservable and Other Nonpositional Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 101-16, March.
- Yann Rébillé & Lionel Richefort, 2012. "Welfare Analysis in Games with substitutabilities," Working Papers hal-00732950, HAL.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124-124.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00924017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.