Efficient Estimation Using the Characteristic Function
The method of moments proposed by Carrasco and Florens (2000) permits to fully exploit the information contained in the characteristic function and yields an estimator which is asymptotically as efficient as the maximum likelihood estimator. However, this estimation procedure depends on a regularization or tuning parameter \alpha that needs to be selected. The aim of the present paper is to provide a way to optimally choose \alpha by minimizing the approximate mean square error (AMSE) of the estimator. Following an approach similar to that of Newey and Smith (2004), we derive a higher-order expansion of the estimator from which we characterize the fi nite sample dependence of the AMSE on \alpha . We provide a data-driven procedure for selecting the regularization parameter that relies on parametric bootstrap. We show that this procedure delivers a root T consistent estimator of \alpha. Moreover, the data-driven selection of the regularization parameter preserves the consistency, asymptotic normality and efficiency of the CGMM estimator. Simulation experiments based on a CIR model show the relevance of the proposed approach.
|Date of creation:||30 Sep 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00867850|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-858, May.
- Peter C. B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999.
"Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data,"
Econometric Society, vol. 67(5), pages 1057-1112, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Hyungsik R. Moon, 1999. "Linear Regression Limit Theory for Nonstationary Panel Data," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1222, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Oliver Linton, 2000.
"Edgeworth approximations for semiparametric instrumental variable estimators and test statistics,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2156, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Linton, Oliver, 2002. "Edgeworth approximations for semiparametric instrumental variable estimators and test statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 325-368, February.
- Oliver Linton, 2000. "Edgeworth Approximations for Semiparametric Instrumental Variable Estimators and Test Statistics," STICERD - Econometrics Paper Series 399, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2000. "Generalization Of Gmm To A Continuum Of Moment Conditions," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 797-834, December.
- Koenker, Roger & Machado, José A.F. & Skeels, Christopher L. & Welsh, Alan H., 1994. "Momentary Lapses: Moment Expansions and the Robustness of Minimum Distance Estimation," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 172-197, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Carrasco, Marine, 2012. "A regularization approach to the many instruments problem," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(2), pages 383-398.
- Ai[diaeresis]t-Sahalia, Yacine & Kimmel, Robert, 2007. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic volatility models," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 413-452, February.
- Jacho-Chávez, David Tomás, 2010. "Optimal Bandwidth Choice For Estimation Of Inverse Conditional–Density–Weighted Expectations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 94-118, February.
- Jiang, George J & Knight, John L, 2002. "Estimation of Continuous-Time Processes via the Empirical Characteristic Function," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(2), pages 198-212, April.
- Pascal Lavergne & Valentin Patilea, 2008. "Smooth Minimum Distance Estimation and Testing in Conditional Moment Restrictions Models: Uniform in Bandwidth Theory," Discussion Papers dp08-08, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00867850. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.