Regulating sovereign wealth funds operating overseas through an external fund manager
This article looks at the relationship between SWFs and their recipient countries, with a focus on the impact it may have depending on the nature of the objectives pursued by the SWF from the perspective of a principal-agent framework. In particular, when the SWF has multiple objectives, there is a risk that signals are misinterpreted and lead to misguided reactions by authorities in the recipient country. Thus, hard to interpret signals do not provide a sufficient case for imposing constraints on the SWF. However, we will show that requiring the SWF to invest through intermediary asset managers may foster cooperation, especially when the objectives of the SWF and of the authorities are closely aligned. SWFs may also alleviate the concerns in recipient countries by acting as an investor (and accepting the funds) of other SWF and non-SWF investors.
|Date of creation:||02 Jun 2010|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00488662|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fahad Khalil & Jacques Lawarree, 2004.
"Incentives for Corruptible Auditors in the Absence of Commitment,"
UWEC-2003-02-FC, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Fahad Khalil & Jacques Lawarree, 2006. "Incentives for corruptible auditors in the absence of commitment," Working Papers UWEC-2005-09-P, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Fahad F. Khalil & Jacques Lawarree, 2006. "Incentives for corruptible auditors in the absence of commitment," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/245733, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Pouyet, Jerome, 2004. "The subsidiarity bias in regulation," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1-2), pages 255-283, January.
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Pouyet, Jérôme, 2000. "The Subsidiarity Bias in Regulation," IDEI Working Papers 96, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & JÃ©rome Pouyet, 2000. "The Subsidiarity Bias in Regulation," SERIES 0001, Dipartimento di Scienze economiche e metodi matematici - Università di Bari, revised Jun 2000.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2007. "Sovereign Wealth Funds: The Need for Greater Transparency and Accountability," Policy Briefs PB07-6, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jean-Philippe Chancelier & Michel Lara & André Palma, 2009. "Risk aversion in expected intertemporal discounted utilities bandit problems," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 67(4), pages 433-440, October.
- Jean-Philippe Chancelier & Michel De Lara & André de Palma, 2007. "Risk aversion in expected intertemporal discounted utilities bandit problems," THEMA Working Papers 2007-15, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992. "A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010. "A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1193, David K. Levine.
- Christine A. Parlour & Uday Rajan, 2001. "Competition in Loan Contracts," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1311-1328, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00488662. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.