The Pigouvian Tax Rule in the Presence of an Eco-Industry
Pollution abatement goods and services are now largely being delivered by a specialized "eco-industry.'' This note reconsiders Pigouvian taxes in this context. We show that the optimal emission tax must depart from the marginal social cost of pollution according to the polluters' and the environment firms' relative market power.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00243020|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barnett, A H, 1980. "The Pigouvian Tax Rule under Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 1037-41, December.
- Stephen Smith, 1992. "Taxation and the environment: a survey," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 21-57, January.
- Ngo Van Long & Antoine Soubeyran, 1998. "Pollution, Pigouvian Taxes, and Asymmetric International Oligopoly," CIRANO Working Papers 98s-30, CIRANO.
- Kort, P.M. & Farzin, Y.H., 2000.
"Pollution abatement investment when environmental regulation is uncertain,"
Other publications TiSEM
90e78d8b-95d9-4d17-9d0f-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Farzin, Y H & Kort, P M, 2000. " Pollution Abatement Investment When Environmental Regulation Is Uncertain," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 2(2), pages 183-212.
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 1994.
"Environmental Policy Under Oligopoly with Endogenous Market Structure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
955, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katsoulacos, Yannis & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 1995. " Environmental Policy under Oligopoly with Endogenous Market Structure," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(3), pages 411-20, September.
- Buchanan, James M, 1969. "External Diseconomies, Corrective Taxes, and Market Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(1), pages 174-77, March.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2004.
"Environmental Regulation and the Eco-industry,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné & Maia David, 2005. "Environmental Regulationand the Eco-Industry," Working Papers 2005.56, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2005. "Environmental regulation and the eco-industry," Working Papers hal-00243019, HAL.
- Maia David & Bernard Sinclair-Desgagné, 2004. "Environmental Regulation and the Eco-Industry," Working Papers 2004/06, INRA, Economie Publique.
- Morgenstern, Richard, 1995. "Environmental Taxes: Dead or Alive?," Discussion Papers dp-96-03, Resources For the Future.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00243020. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.