Collateral effects of a pension reform in France
How does the retirement age affect the physical and mental health of seniors? We identify this effect based on the 1993 reform of the French pension system, which was heterogeneously introduced among the population. With each cohort, the French government gradually increased the incentive to work using two tools: the contribution period required for entitlement to a full pension and the number of reference earning years taken to calculate pensions. We use a unique database on health and employment in France in 1999 and 2005, when the cohorts affected by the reform started to retire. A difference-in-differences approach, with the control group comprising public sector employees (not concerned by the 1993 reform), finds that the people more affected by the reform, and hence with a stronger incentive to work, were those posting less of an improvement and even a deterioration in their health between 1999 and 2005. Subsequently, taking the reform as a tool to filter out the potential influence of health on employment choices, we show that retirement improves physical and social health. The more physically impacted are the low-educated individuals.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00703706|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coe, Norma B. & Lindeboom, Maarten, 2008.
"Does Retirement Kill You? Evidence from Early Retirement Windows,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3817, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Coe, N.B. & Lindeboom, M., 2008. "Does Retirement Kill You? Evidence from Early Retirement Windows," Discussion Paper 2008-93, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Susann Rohwedder & Robert J. Willis, 2010.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 24(1), pages 119-38, Winter.
- de Grip, Andries & Lindeboom, Maarten & Montizaan, Raymond, 2009.
"Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4034, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Andries De Grip & Maarten Lindeboom & Raymond Montizaan, 2012. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 122(559), pages 1-25, 03.
- Grip Andries de & Lindeboom Maarten & Montizaan Raymond, 2009. "Shattered Dreams: The Effects of Changing the Pension System Late in the Game," ROA Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Pagan, Ricardo, 2011. "Ageing and disability: Job satisfaction differentials across Europe," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 206-215, January.
- John Bound & Timothy Waidmann, 2007. "Estimating the Health Effects of Retirements," Working Papers wp168, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Coe, Norma B. & Zamarro, Gema, 2011.
"Retirement effects on health in Europe,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 77-86, January.
- Adriaan Kalwij & Frederic Vermeulen, 2008. "Health and labour force participation of older people in Europe: What do objective health indicators add to the analysis?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 619-638.
- Bonsang Eric & Adam Stéphane & Perelman Sergio, 2010.
"Does Retirement Affect Cognitive Functioning?,"
005, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Didier Blanchet & Thierry Debrand, 2008. "The sooner, the better? Analyzing preferences for early retirement in European countries," Working Papers DT13, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Jul 2008.
- Sirven, Nicolas & Debrand, Thierry, 2008. "Social participation and healthy ageing: An international comparison using SHARE data," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(12), pages 2017-2026, December.
- Didier Blanchet & Paul Dourgnon & Anne Laferrère & Thierry Debrand, 2007. "Santé, vieillissement et retraite en Europe," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 403(1), pages 3-18.
- repec:dgr:kubcen:200893 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:psewpa:halshs-00703706. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.