Economics and Theory of the Firm, Chap. 1 of the Handbook on Economics and Theory of the Firm, M. Dietrich and Jackie Krafft (eds), Edward Elgar: Cheltenham, 2012
The Handbook on the Economics and Theory of the Firm explores both the economics of the firm and the theory of the firm, two areas which were traditionally treated separately in the literature. On the one hand, the former refers to the structure, organization and boundaries of the firm, while the latter is devoted to the analysis of behaviours and strategies in particular market contexts. The novel concept underpinning this authoritative volume is that these two areas closely interact, and that a framework must be articulated in order to illustrate how linkages can be created. This introduction is dedicated to comprehensively develop this interpretative framework.
|Date of creation:||24 Aug 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Michael Dietrich and Jackie Krafft. Handbook on the Economics and Theory of the Firm, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp.588, 2012, Edward Elgar Handbook Series|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00742302|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coase Ronald, 1991.
"The Institutional Structure of Production,"
Journal des Economistes et des Etudes Humaines,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 10, December.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G., 1993.
"The Life Cycle of a Competitive Industry,"
93-34, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Boyan Jovanovic & Glenn MacDonald, 1993. "The Life-Cycle of a Competitive Industry," NBER Working Papers 4441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jovanovic, B. & MacDonald, G.M., 1992. "The Life-Cycle of Competitive Industry," Papers 92-09, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Teece, David J. & Rumelt, Richard & Dosi, Giovanni & Winter, Sidney, 1994. "Understanding corporate coherence : Theory and evidence," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Entry, Exit, Growth, and Innovation over the Product Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 562-83, June.
- Morroni,Mario, 2006. "Knowledge, Scale and Transactions in the Theory of the Firm," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521862431, June.
- Gort, Michael & Klepper, Steven, 1982. "Time Paths in the Diffusion of Product Innovations," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 630-53, September.
- Mueller, Dennis C., 1997. "First-mover advantages and path dependence," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 827-850, October.
- Abernathy, William J. & Clark, Kim B., 1985. "Innovation: Mapping the winds of creative destruction," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-22, February.
- Dijk Machiel van, 1998. "Industry Life Cycles in Dutch Manufacturing," Research Memorandum 010, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier Paolo Saviotti, 2011.
"The knowledge-base evolution in biotechnology: a social network analysis,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(5), pages 445-475.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2011. "The knowledge-base evolution in biotechnology: a social network analysis," Post-Print halshs-00727610, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Francesco Quatraro & Pier-Paolo Saviotti, 2011. "The Knowledge Base Evolution in Biotechnology: A Social Network Analysis," Post-Print hal-00539002, HAL.
- Saviotti, Pier Paolo, 1998. "On the dynamics of appropriability, of tacit and of codified knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 843-856, April.
- Klepper, Steven, 1997. "Industry Life Cycles," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 6(1), pages 145-81.
- Morroni,Mario, 1992. "Production Process and Technical Change," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521410014, June.
- Coase, Ronald, 1998. "The New Institutional Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 72-74, May.
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft, 2011.
"Firm development as an integrated process: with evidence from the General Motors - Fisher Body case,"
- Michael Dietrich & Jackie Krafft, 2011. "Firm development as an integrated process: with evidence from the General Motors–Fisher Body case," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 665-686, October.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Raff, Daniel M. G., 1991. "Intra-Industry Heterogeneity and the Great Depression: The American Motor Vehicles Industry, 1929–1935," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(02), pages 317-331, June.
- Bart Nooteboom, 2004. "Governance and competence: how can they be combined?," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(4), pages 505-525, July.
- Fransman, Martin, 1999. "Visions of Innovation: The Firm and Japan," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198289357.
- Foss, Nicolai Juul, 1993. "Theories of the Firm: Contractual and Competence Perspectives," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 127-44, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00742302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.