Liquidity and Arbitrage in Options Markets: A SurvivalAnalysis Approach
This paper examines the determinants of the time it takes for an index options market to return to no arbitrage values after put-call parity deviations, using intraday transactions data from the French index options market. We employ survival analysis to characterize how limits to arbitrage influence the expected duration of arbitrage deviations. After controlling for conventional limits to arbitrage, we show that liquidity-linked variables are associated with a faster reversion of arbitrage profits. The introduction of an ETF also affects the survival rates of deviations but this impact essentially stems from the reduction in the level of potential arbitrage profits.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Review of Finance / European Finance Review, 2007, 11, 3, 497-525|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00162221/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parkinson, Michael, 1980. "The Extreme Value Method for Estimating the Variance of the Rate of Return," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(1), pages 61-65, January.
- De Long, J. Bradford & Shleifer, Andrei & Summers, Lawrence H. & Waldmann, Robert J., 1990.
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
3725552, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- John Y. Campbell & Albert S. Kyle, 1988.
"Smart Money, Noise Trading and Stock Price Behavior,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0071, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Campbell, John Y & Kyle, Albert S, 1993. "Smart Money, Noise Trading and Stock Price Behaviour," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(1), pages 1-34, January.
- Kyle, Albert & Campbell, John, 1993. "Smart Money, Noise Trading and Stock Price Behaviour," Scholarly Articles 3208217, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Campbell, J.Y. & Kyle, A.S., 1988. "Smart Money, Noise Trading And Stock Price Behavior," Papers 95, Princeton, Department of Economics - Financial Research Center.
- Ofek, Eli & Richardson, Matthew & Whitelaw, Robert F., 2004. "Limited arbitrage and short sales restrictions: evidence from the options markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 305-342, November.
- Gould, J. P. & Galai, D., 1974. "Transactions costs and the relationship between put and call prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 105-129, July.
- Mark Mitchell, 2001. "Characteristics of Risk and Return in Risk Arbitrage," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(6), pages 2135-2175, December.
- Ackert, Lucy F. & Tian, Yisong S., 2001.
"Efficiency in index options markets and trading in stock baskets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1607-1634, September.
- Lucy F. Ackert & Yisong S. Tian, 1999. "Efficiency in index options markets and trading in stock baskets," Working Paper 99-5, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Abreu, Dilip & Brunnermeier, Markus K., 2002. "Synchronization risk and delayed arbitrage," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 341-360.
- Evnine, Jeremy & Rudd, Andrew, 1985. " Index Options: The Early Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 743-56, July.
- Finucane, Thomas J., 1991. "Put-Call Parity and Expected Returns," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 445-457, December.
- Billingsley, Randall S & Chance, Don M, 1985. "Options Market Efficiency and the Box Spread Strategy," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 20(4), pages 287-301, November.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1969. "The Relationship between Put and Call Option Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(5), pages 801-24, December.
- Klemkosky, Robert C & Resnick, Bruce G, 1979. "Put-Call Parity and Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1141-55, December.
- Tuckman, Bruce & Vila, Jean-Luc, 1992. " Arbitrage with Holding Costs: A Utility-Based Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1283-302, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00162221. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.