How Do Spouses Share their Full Income in Russia?: Identification of the Sharing Rule Using Self-reported Income
The paper applies the collective model to the analysis of intra-household inequality using self-reported income scales and provides a test for its assumptions. We assume a correspondence between the income level that household members report and their true income sharing. Using Russian data, we first show that this assumption is supported by the data, and then use couples who report the same level of income to identify the full sharing rule for the whole sample. From simulations for an average couple living in the Urals, we find that a full income share of 45% is allocated to the wife.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Review of Income and Wealth, Wiley, 2009, 55 (2), pp.360-391. <10.1111/j.1475-4991.2009.00323.x>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00368422|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Andrew E & Oswald, Andrew J, 1994. "Unhappiness and Unemployment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(424), pages 648-659, May.
- Apps, Patricia F & Rees, Ray, 1997.
"Collective Labor Supply and Household Production,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 178-190, February.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1996. "Collective Labor Supply and Household Production," Papers 301, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004. "How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2002. "How important is Methodology for the Estimates of the Determinants of Happiness?," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 02-024/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2002. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation, and Household Labor Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 37-72, February.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," Cahiers de recherche 0103, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-16, CIRANO.
- Yew-Kwang Ng, 1996. "Happiness surveys: Some comparability issues and an exploratory survey based on just perceivable increments," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 1-27, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)