Identifying Intra-household Welfare Distribution
The paper proposes a new application of the collective model of household be- haviour to the analysis of intra-household inequality using the answers to the ques- tions on subjective welfare. The collective approach attributes to each household member distinct preferences and assumes that household decisions are Pareto efficient. The individual choices are guided by the sharing rule describing the intra-household decision making. So far, most empirical studies based on the collective approach have been restricted to the identification of the sharing rule up to a constant. This study extends the work of Kalugina, Radtchenko, Sofer (2009) and proposes a new method of the sharing rule identification using the information on individual welfare satisfaction as an additional source of analysis. In spite of different sources of identification used in the two analyses and substantial differences of the econometric models adopted according to the identification sources, the results of the sharing rule estimation are qualitatively and quantitatively similar to those obtained in Kalugina, Radtchenko, Sofer (2009).
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +33 1 69 47 71 77
Fax: +33 1 69 47 70 50
Web page: http://epee.univ-evry.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiappori, P.A., 1994.
"Introducing Household Production in Collective Models of Labour Suply,"
DELTA Working Papers
94-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1997. "Introducing Household Production in Collective Models of Labor Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 191-209, February.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 2001.
"Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply,"
Cahiers de recherche
0103, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2002. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation, and Household Labor Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 37-72, February.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-16, CIRANO.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1996.
"Collective Labor Supply and Household Production,"
301, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Rapoport, Benoît & Sofer, Catherine & Solaz, Anne, 2006. "La production domestique dans les modèles collectifs," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 82(1), pages 247-269, mars-juin.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1992.
"Collective Labor Supply and Welfare,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 437-67, June.
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2006.
"How do spouses share their full income ? Identification of the sharing rule using self-reported income,"
Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques
bla06012, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2009. "How Do Spouses Share Their Full Income? Identification Of The Sharing Rule Using Self-Reported Income," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 55(2), pages 360-391, 06.
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2007. "How do Spouses Share their Full Income? : Identification of the Sharing Rule Using Self-reported Income," Working Papers 2007-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Ekaterina Kalugina & Natalia Radtchenko & Catherine Sofer, 2006. "How Do Spouses Share their Full Income ? Identification of the Sharing Rule Using Self-Reported Income," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00111159, HAL.
- Andrew Clark & Hélène Couprie & Catherine Sofer, 2004. "La modélisation collective de l'offre de travail. Mise en perspective et application aux données britanniques," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(4), pages 767-789.
- Guy Lacroix & Natalia Radtchenko, 2011.
"The changing intra-household resource allocation in Russia,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 85-106, January.
- Guy Lacroix & Natalia Radtchenko, 2008. "The Changing Intra-Household Resource Allocation in Russia," Cahiers de recherche 0811, CIRPEE.
- Lacroix, Guy & Radtchenko, Natalia, 2008. "The Changing Intra-Household Resource Allocation in Russia," IZA Discussion Papers 3733, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Rapoport & Catherine Sofer & Anne Solaz, 2011. "Household Production in a Collective Model: Some New Results," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00687274, HAL.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1988. "Rational Household Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 63-90, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eve:wpaper:09-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Samuel Nosel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.