Labor market time and home production: A new test for collective models of intra- household allocation
The allocation of time is a crucial decision that influences many aspects of household welfare, above all consumption, income level and home production. This paper presents a new methodology to estimate woman domestic productivity using a French time use survey, at least whenever the recursivity property for constrained utility maximization with home production applies. It provides empirical evidence not rejecting a collective model of household decision making over working time, as the sum of time spent in domestic production and market labor time. Our results show also that female domestic productivity is a relevant variable explaining intra-household distribution of resources.
|Date of creation:||01 Mar 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: I-80126 Napoli|
Phone: +39 081 - 675372
Fax: +39 081 - 675372
Web page: http://www.csef.it/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Valérie Lechene, 2006.
"Collective and Unitary Models: A Clarification,"
Review of Economics of the Household,
Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 5-14, March.
- Valerie Lechene & Martin Browning, 2004. "Collective and unitary models: a clarification," Economics Series Working Papers 191, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Martin Browning & Pierre-André Chiappori & Valérie Lechene, 2004. "Collective and Unitary Models: a Clarification," CAM Working Papers 2004-15, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics. Centre for Applied Microeconometrics.
- Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 1997. "A Test of the Unitary and Collective Models of Household Labour Supply," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(443), pages 933-955, July.
- Thomas Aronsson & Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Magnus Wikström, 2001. "Estimating intrahousehold allocation in a collective model with household production," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 569-584.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Wikström, Magnus, 1999. "Estimating Intrahousehold Allocation in a Collective Model With Household Production," Umeå Economic Studies 495, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Pencavel, John, 1987. "Labor supply of men: A survey," Handbook of Labor Economics,in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 1, pages 3-102 Elsevier.
- Apps, Patricia F & Rees, Ray, 1997. "Collective Labor Supply and Household Production," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(1), pages 178-190, February.
- Apps, P.F. & Rees, R., 1996. "Collective Labor Supply and Household Production," Papers 301, Australian National University - Department of Economics.
- Heckman, James, 2013. "Sample selection bias as a specification error," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Heckman, James J, 1979. "Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-161, January.
- Benoît Rapoport & Catherine Sofer & Anne Solaz, 2011. "Household production in a collective model: some new results," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 23-45, January.
- Benoit Rapoport & Catherine Sofer & Anne Solaz, 2011. "Household Production in a Collective Model: Some New Results," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00687274, HAL.
- Pierre-Andre Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2002. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation, and Household Labor Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 37-72, February.
- Chiappori, Pierre-André & Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," Cahiers de recherche 0103, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Pierre-André Chiappori & Bernard Fortin & Guy Lacroix, 2001. "Marriage Market, Divorce Legislation and Household Labor Supply," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-16, CIRANO.