Women's relative position and the division of household work: A study of French couples
This paper studies the effect of women's relative position in the labour market on the division of household work for French couples. Taking into account that household decisions are taken simultaneously, the paper provides empirical evidence that women's relative position in the labour market with reference to her partner influences the distribution of household work. We find that men's share of household work increases with his partner's better relative position in the labour market. But women's better position, relative to the average of her "type" has a less significant impact upon the distribution of household work within the household. Although the gap in household work decreases with the woman being in a better relative position, we never observe a role reversal: whatever their situation in the labour market may be, women always have in charge the largest share of household work.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in European Journal of Social Systems, 2009, 22 (2), pp.13-26|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00687280|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Duncan Thomas, 1990.
"Intra-Household Resource Allocation: An Inferential Approach,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(4), pages 635-664.
- Thomas, D., 1989. "Intra-Household Resource Allocation: An Inferential Approach," Papers 586, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Hersch, Joni & Stratton, Leslie S, 1994. "Housework, Wages, and the Division of Housework Time for Employed Spouses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(2), pages 120-25, May.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, June.
- Kooreman, P. & Kapteyn, A.J., 1984.
"A disaggregated analysis of the allocation of time within the household,"
FEW 153, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kooreman, Peter & Kapteyn, Arie, 1987. "A Disaggregated Analysis of the Allocation of Time within the Household," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(2), pages 223-49, April.
- Manser, Marilyn & Brown, Murray, 1980. "Marriage and Household Decision-Making: A Bargaining Analysis," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 31-44, February.
- Andrew Clark & Hélène Couprie & Catherine Sofer, 2004.
"La modélisation collective de l'offre de travail. Mise en perspective et application aux données britanniques,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 55(4), pages 767-789.
- Andrew Clark & Hélène Couprie & Catherine Sofer, 2004. "La modélisation collective de l'offre de travail : Mise en perspective et application aux données britanniques," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00367129, HAL.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1992.
"Collective Labor Supply and Welfare,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(3), pages 437-67, June.
- Thomas Aronsson & Sven-Olov Daunfeldt & Magnus Wikström, 2001.
"Estimating intrahousehold allocation in a collective model with household production,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 14(4), pages 569-584.
- Aronsson, Thomas & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Wikström, Magnus, 1999. "Estimating Intrahousehold Allocation in a Collective Model With Household Production," Umeå Economic Studies 495, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Dominique Anxo & Paul Carlin, 2004. "Intra-family time allocation to housework - French evidence," electronic International Journal of Time Use Research, Research Institute on Professions (Forschungsinstitut Freie Berufe (FFB)) and The International Association for Time Use Research (IATUR), vol. 1(1), pages 14-36, August.
- Benoît Rapoport & Catherine Sofer & Anne Solaz, 2011.
"Household production in a collective model: some new results,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 24(1), pages 23-45, January.
- Benoit Rapoport & Catherine Sofer & Anne Solaz, 2011. "Household Production in a Collective Model: Some New Results," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00687274, HAL.
- Michael Bittman & Paula England & Nancy Folbre & George Matheson, 2001. "When Gender Trumps Money: Bargaining and Time in Household Work," JCPR Working Papers 221, Northwestern University/University of Chicago Joint Center for Poverty Research.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre, 1988. "Rational Household Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(1), pages 63-90, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00687280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.