The Profit-Investment-Unemployment nexus and Capacity Utilization in a Stock-Flow Consistent Model
This paper studies under which conditions the share of profit in value-added, financial constraints on investment and capital shortage may foster unemployment and may limit the growth of capital and/or the growth of aggregate demand, in a stock-flow consistent model. The efficiency of demand-side versus supply-side economic policies (decrease of the real interest rate and/or of the real wage, increase of the leverage ceiling constraint) depends on capital shortage and credit rationing, which are not necessarily simultaneous due to the effects of investment on aggregate demand and supply.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Metroeconomica, 2010, 61, 3, 454-472|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00645155|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edwin Le Heron & Tarik Mouakil, 2008. "A Post-Keynesian Stock-Flow Consistent Model For Dynamic Analysis Of Monetary Policy Shock On Banking Behaviour," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(3), pages 405-440, 07.
- Neri Salvadori, 2004. "Economic growth and distribution: on the nature and causes of the wealth of nations," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 28(18), pages A0.
- Chatelain, J.-B., 2001.
"Mark-up and Capital Structure of the Firm facing Uncertainty,"
84, Banque de France.
- Chatelain, Jean-Bernard, 2001. "Mark-up and capital structure of the firm facing uncertainty," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 99-105, December.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain, 2001. "Mark-up and Capital Structure of the Firm facing Uncertainty," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00119409, HAL.
- Chatelain, 2004. "Mark-up and Capital Structure of the Firm facing Uncertainty," Finance 0404005, EconWPA.
- Anwar Shaikh, 2009. "Economic Policy In A Growth Context: A Classical Synthesis Of Keynes And Harrod," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 60(3), pages 455-494, 07.
- Chatelain, Jean-Bernard, 1998. "Investment Facing Credit Rationing," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 66(0), pages 102-15, Supplemen.
- Peter Skott, 2008.
"Theoretical and empirical shortcomings of the Kaleckian investment function,"
UMASS Amherst Economics Working Papers
2008-11, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Economics, revised Dec 2009.
- Peter Skott, 2012. "Theoretical And Empirical Shortcomings Of The Kaleckian Investment Function," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 63(1), pages 109-138, 02.
- Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & Teurlai, Jean-Christophe, 2006. "Euler investment equation, leverage and cash flow misspecification: An empirical analysis on a panel of French manufacturing firms," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 361-374, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:28:y:2004:i:18:p:a0 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain, 2000. "Explicit Lagrange Multiplier for Firms Facing a Debt Ceiling Constraint," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00119408, HAL.
- Constantinos Alexiou, 2001. "Crafting a Post Keynesian Macroeconomic Framework to Explain European Unemployment: Econometric Evidence from the European Union Countries," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 24(1), pages 59-80, October.
- Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Bruno Amable & Kirsten Ralf, 2004.
"Credit rationing, profit accumulation and economic growth,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Amable, Bruno & Chatelain, Jean-Bernard & Ralf, Kirsten, 2004. "Credit rationing, profit accumulation and economic growth," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 301-307, December.
- Amable, Bruno & Jean-Bernard Chatelain & Kirsten RALF, 2002. "Credit Rationing, Profit Accumulation and Economic Growth," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 5, Royal Economic Society.
- Philip Arestis & Michelle Baddeley & Malcolm Sawyer, 2007. "The Relationship Between Capital Stock, Unemployment And Wages In Nine Emu Countries," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 125-148, 04.
- Eckhard Hein, 2004.
"Interest rate, debt, distribution and capital accumulation in a post-Kaleckian model,"
- Eckhard Hein, 2007. "Interest Rate, Debt, Distribution And Capital Accumulation In A Post-Kaleckian Model," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 310-339, 05.
- Hein, Eckhard, 2004. "Interest rate, debt, distribution and capital accumulation in a post-Kaleckian model," WSI Discussion Papers 133, Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut (WSI), Hans-Böckler-Stiftung.
- Constantinos Alexiou & Christos Pitelis, 2003. "On capital shortages and European unemployment: a panel data investigation," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 25(4), pages 613-640, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:hal-00645155. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.