Investment Dynamics: Good News Principle
We study a dynamic Cournot game with capacity accumulation under demand uncertainty, in which the investment is perfectly divisible, irreversible, and productive with a lag. We characterize equilibrium investments under closed-loop and S-adapted open-loop information structures. Contrary to what is established usually in the dynamic games literature with deterministic demand, we find that the firms may invest at a higher level in the open-loop equilibrium (which in some cases coincides with Markov perfect equilibrium) than in the closed-loop Nash equilibrium. The rankings of the investment levels obtained in the two equilibria actually depend on the initial capacities and on the degree of asymmetry between the firms. We also observe, contrary to the bad news principle of investment, that firms may invest more as demand volatility increases and they invest as if high demand (i.e., good news) will unfold in the future.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (519) 824-4120 ext. 53898
Fax: (519) 763-8497
Web page: https://www.uoguelph.ca/economics/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ngo Van Long & Koji Shimomura & Harutaka Takahashi, 1997.
"Comparing Open-Loop with Markov Equilibria in a Class of Differential Games,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ngo Van Long & Koji Shimomura & Harutaka Takahashi, 1999. "Comparing Open-loop With Markov Equilibria in a Class of Differential Games," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 50(4), pages 457-469, December.
- Kossioris, G. & Plexousakis, M. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A.J. & Mäler, K-G., 2008.
"Feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games in pollution control,"
Other publications TiSEM
40605796-65cd-476f-8e92-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kossioris, G. & Plexousakis, M. & Xepapadeas, A. & de Zeeuw, A. & Mäler, K.-G., 2008. "Feedback Nash equilibria for non-linear differential games in pollution control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1312-1331, April.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly with Capital Accumulation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 145-155, November.
- Francisco Ruiz-Aliseda & Jianjun Wu, 2007. "Irreversible investment in stochastically cyclical markets," Economics Working Papers 1018, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Michèle Breton & Ramla Jarrar & Georges Zaccour, 2006. "A Note on Feedback Sequential Equilibria in a Lanchester Model with Empirical Application," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 52(5), pages 804-811, May.
- Raymond J. Deneckere & Andre de Palma, 1992.
"The Diffusion of Consumer Durables in a vertically Differentiated Oligopoly,"
1022, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Raymond J. Deneckere & Andre' de Palma, 1998. "The Diffusion of Consumer Durables in a Vertically Differentiated Oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 29(4), pages 750-771, Winter.
- de Palma, A. & Deneckere, R.J., 1995. "The Diffusion of Consumer Durables in a Vertically Differentiated Oligopoly," Papers 9506, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Claudio A. Piga, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Advertising and Product Differentiation," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 509-522, October.
- Genc, Talat S. & Sen, Suvrajeet, 2008. "An analysis of capacity and price trajectories for the Ontario electricity market using dynamic Nash equilibrium under uncertainty," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 173-191, January.
- Driskill, Robert, 2001. "Durable goods oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(3-4), pages 391-413, March.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Driskill, Robert A. & McCafferty, Stephen, 1989. "Dynamic duopoly with adjustment costs: A differential game approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 324-338, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gue:guelph:2010-6.. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephen Kosempel)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.