Tariffs vs Quotas in a Model of Trade with Capital Accumulation
This paper examines the equivalence among price-modifying and quantity fixing international trade policies in a differential game. We employ two well known capital accumulation dynamics for firms, due to Nerlove and Arrow and to Ramsey, respectively. We show that, in both cases, open-loop and closed-loop Nash equilibria coincide. Under the former accumulation the tariff-quota equivalence holds, but it does not under the latter. Moreover, in the Ramsey model, the country setting the trade policy prefers a quantity equivalent import quota to the adoption of the tariff.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Harris, 1985. "Why Voluntary Export Restraints Are 'Voluntary.'," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 799-809, November.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Muller, Eitan, 1984.
"Capital accumulation games of infinite duration,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 322-339, August.
- Chaim Fershtman & Eitan Muller, 1983. "Capital Accumulation Games of Infinite Duration," Discussion Papers 553, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Sweeney, Richard J. & Tower, Edward & Willett, Thomas D., 1977. "The ranking of alternative tariff and quota policies in the presence of domestic monopoly," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 349-362, November.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1989. "Trade Policies for International Competitiveness," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen89-1, December.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Haug, Alfred A., 1990. "Tariffs and quotas under dynamic duopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 147-159, August.
- Driskill, Robert A. & McCafferty, Stephen, 1989. "Dynamic duopoly with adjustment costs: A differential game approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 324-338, December.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Non-Linear Market Demand and Capital Accumulation in A Differential Oligopoly Game," Working Papers 372, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly with Capital Accumulation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 145-155, November.
- Robert Driskill & Stephen McCafferty, 1989. "Dynamic Duopoly with Output Adjustment Costs in International Markets: Taking the Conjecture out of Conjectural Variations," NBER Chapters,in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 125-144 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engelbert J. Dockner & Alfred A. Haug, 1991. "The Closed-Loop Motive for Voluntary Export Restraints," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 679-685, August.
- Cheng, Leonard K, 1987. "Optimal Trade and Technology Policies: Dynamic Linkages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 757-776, October.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," NBER Working Papers 1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.