Tariffs vs Quotas in a Model of Trade with Capital Accumulation
This paper examines the equivalence among price-modifying and quantity fixing international trade policies in a differential game. We employ two well known capital accumulation dynamics for firms, due to Nerlove and Arrow and to Ramsey, respectively. We show that, in both cases, open-loop and closed-loop Nash equilibria coincide. Under the former accumulation the tariff-quota equivalence holds, but it does not under the latter. Moreover, in the Ramsey model, the country setting the trade policy prefers a quantity equivalent import quota to the adoption of the tariff.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Harris, 1985.
"Why Voluntary Export Restraints Are 'Voluntary.',"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 799-809, November.
- Robert Driskill & Stephen McCafferty, 1989. "Dynamic Duopoly with Output Adjustment Costs in International Markets: Taking the Conjecture out of Conjectural Variations," NBER Chapters, in: Trade Policies for International Competitiveness, pages 125-144 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheng, Leonard K, 1987. "Optimal Trade and Technology Policies: Dynamic Linkages," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 757-76, October.
- Sweeney, Richard J. & Tower, Edward & Willett, Thomas D., 1977. "The ranking of alternative tariff and quota policies in the presence of domestic monopoly," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(4), pages 349-362, November.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Haug, Alfred A., 1990. "Tariffs and quotas under dynamic duopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 147-159, August.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly,"
NBER Working Papers
1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly with Capital Accumulation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 145-155, November.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Muller, Eitan, 1984.
"Capital accumulation games of infinite duration,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 322-339, August.
- Driskill, Robert A. & McCafferty, Stephen, 1989. "Dynamic duopoly with adjustment costs: A differential game approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 324-338, December.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Non-Linear Market Demand and Capital Accumulation in A Differential Oligopoly Game," Working Papers 372, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Engelbert J. Dockner & Alfred A. Haug, 1991. "The Closed-Loop Motive for Voluntary Export Restraints," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 679-85, August.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1989. "Trade Policies for International Competitiveness," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen89-1, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:392. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.