Price vs Quantity in a Dynamic Duopoly Game with Capacity Accumulation
We present a differential duopoly game with capacity accumulation, where the closed-loop memoryless Nash equilibrium collapses into the open-loop Nash equilibrium. Symmetric Bertrand and Cournot equilibria are observationally equivalent. This result encompasses the conclusions of the well known model Kreps and Scheinkman (1983) concerning the equivalence between the Bertrand and Cournot settings in a static two-stage game. However, in the dynamic framework, the equilibrium outcome is different, when one firm plays à la Bertrand and the other à la Cournot. This has relevant bearings upon firms` endogenous choice of the market variable, as well as the social desirability of prices vs quantities. For some admissible parameter ranges, the conflict between private and social incentives concerning the choice between prices and quantity disappears.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fershtman, Chaim & Muller, Eitan, 1984.
"Capital accumulation games of infinite duration,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 322-339, August.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Kamien, Morton I, 1987. "Dynamic Duopolistic Competition with Sticky Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1151-1164, September.
- Chaim Fershtman & Morton I. Kamien, 1987.
"Turnpike Properties in a Finite Horizon Differential Game: Dynamic Duopoly with Sticky Prices,"
746, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Kamien, Morton I, 1990. "Turnpike Properties in a Finite-Horizon Differential Game: Dynamic Duopoly with Sticky Prices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 49-60, February.
- Fershtman, C. & Kamien, M.I., 1988. "Turnpike Properties In A Finite Horizon Differential Game: Dynamic Duopoly With Sticky Prices," Papers 4-88, Tel Aviv.
- Dockner, Engelbert J. & Haug, Alfred A., 1990. "Tariffs and quotas under dynamic duopolistic competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 147-159, August.
- David M. Kreps & Jose A. Scheinkman, 1983. "Quantity Precommitment and Bertrand Competition Yield Cournot Outcomes," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 14(2), pages 326-337, Autumn.
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- R. Cellini & L. Lambertini, 2001. "Differential Oligopoly Games where the Closed-Loop Memoryless and Open-Loop Equilibria Coincide," Working Papers 402, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Levitan, Richard & Shubik, Martin, 1972.
"Price Duopoly and Capacity Constraints,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(1), pages 111-122, February.
- Reynolds, Stanley S, 1987. "Capacity Investment, Preemption and Commitment in an Infinite Horizon Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 69-88, February.
- Fudenberg, Drew & Tirole, Jean, 1983. "Capital as a commitment: Strategic investment to deter mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 227-250, December.
- Cellini, Roberto & Lambertini, Luca, 1998. "A Dynamic Model of Differentiated Oligopoly with Capital Accumulation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 145-155, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:449. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.