A Good Beginning Makes a Good Market: The Effect of Different Market Opening Structures on Market Quality
This paper deals with the market structure at the opening of the trading day and its influence on subsequent trading. We compare a single continuous double auction and two complement markets with different call auction designs as opening mechanisms in a unified experimental framework. The call auctions differ with respect to their levels of transparency. We find that a call auction not only improves market quality at the beginning of the trading day when com-pared to the stand-alone continuous double auction, but also causes positive spillover effects on subsequent trading. Concerning the design of the opening call auction, we find no signifi-cant differences between the transparent and nontransparent specification with respect to opening prices and liquidity. In the course of subsequent continuous trading, however, market quality is slightly higher after a nontransparent call auction.
|Date of creation:||25 May 2012|
|Publication status:||Published as Hinterleitner, G., Leopold-Wildburger, U., Mestel, R., Palan, S., “A Good Beginning Makes a Good Market: The Effect of Different Market Opening Structures on Market Quality”, Scientific World Journal, Article ID 307808, 2014, 1-14.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Universitaetsstrasse 15/AE, 8010 Graz|
Web page: http://sowi.uni-graz.at/de/forschen/working-paper-series/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andy Snell & Ian Tonks, 2003. "A theoretical analysis of institutional investors' trading costs in auction and dealer markets," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(489), pages 576-597, 07.
- Barclay, Michael J. & Hendershott, Terrence & Jones, Charles M., 2008. "Order Consolidation, Price Efficiency, and Extreme Liquidity Shocks," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 93-121, March.
- Ailsa Röell & Marco Pagano, 1991.
"Auction and Dealership Markets: What is the Difference?,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp125, Financial Markets Group.
- Pagano, Marco & Roell, Ailsa, 1992. "Auction and dealership markets : What is the difference?," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(2-3), pages 613-623, April.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1986. "Asset pricing and the bid-ask spread," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 223-249, December.
- Hyun Song Shin & Ian Tonks & Andrew Ellul, 2004.
"Opening and Closing the Market: Evidence from the London Stock Exchange,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp506, Financial Markets Group.
- Ellul, Andrew & Shin, Hyun Song & Tonks, Ian, 2005. "Opening and Closing the Market: Evidence from the London Stock Exchange," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(04), pages 779-801, December.
- Andrew Ellul & Hyun Song Shin & Ian Tonks, 2004. "Opening and closing the market: evidence from the London Stock Exchange," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24753, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Madhavan, Ananth, 1992.
" Trading Mechanisms in Securities Markets,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 607-641, June.
- Ananth N. Madhavan, "undated". "Trading Mechanisms in Securities Markets," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 16-90, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Pagano, Marco & Roell, Ailsa, 1996. " Transparency and Liquidity: A Comparison of Auction and Dealer Markets with Informed Trading," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 579-611, June.
- Chang, Rosita P. & Rhee, S. Ghon & Stone, Gregory R. & Tang, Ning, 2008. "How does the call market method affect price efficiency? Evidence from the Singapore Stock Market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2205-2219, October.
- Madhavan, A., 1991.
"Security Prices and Market Transparency,"
Weiss Center Working Papers
1-92, Wharton School - Weiss Center for International Financial Research.
- Theissen, Erik, 2000. "Market structure, informational efficiency and liquidity: An experimental comparison of auction and dealer markets," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 333-363, November.
- Davies, Ryan J., 2003. "The Toronto Stock Exchange preopening session," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 491-516, August.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole & Ting Lau, Sie & McInish, Thomas, 2007. "Opening and closing behavior following the introduction of call auctions in Singapore," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 18-35, January.
- Stoll, Hans R & Whaley, Robert E, 1990. "Stock Market Structure and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 37-71.
- Comerton-Forde, Carole, 1999. "Do trading rules impact on market efficiency? A comparison of opening procedures on the Australian and Jakarta Stock Exchanges," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 495-521, December.
- Kehr, Carl-Heinrich & Krahnen, Jan P. & Theissen, Erik, 2001. "The Anatomy of a Call Market," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 10(3-4), pages 249-270, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grz:wpsses:2012-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.