The decline of French trade power during the first globalization (1850-1913)
This article offers an exhaustive quantitative analysis of the French foreign trade during the second part of the 19th century (1850-1913). It uses both geographical and sectoral dimension. Products are analyzed at a highly disaggregated level (corresponding to the SITC rev.3). We have studied imports from 41 countries and exports to 63 destinations.\r\nThe article shows that France has faced problems to benefit from the global economic growth induced by the first globalization from the end of the 1870’s because of a weakness in geographical and sectoral diversification. Indeed, France withdraws on close markets and is not able to take advantage of emerging countries’ economic development.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.75
Fax: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
- Accominotti, Olivier & Flandreau, Marc, 2005.
"Does Bilateralism Promote Trade? Nineteenth Century Liberalization Revisited,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5423, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Accominotti & Marc Flandreau, 2006. "Does Bilateralism Promote Trade? Nineteenth Century Liberalization Revisited," Working Papers hal-01065617, HAL.
- Olivier Accominotti & Marc Flandreau, 2006. "Does Bilateralism Promote Trade? Nineteenth Century Liberalization Revisited," Sciences Po publications n°5423, Sciences Po.
- Jacks, David S. & Meissner, Christopher M. & Novy, Dennis, 2011. "Trade booms, trade busts, and trade costs," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 185-201, March.
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2009. "Trade Booms, Trade Busts, and Trade Costs," NBER Working Papers 15267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jacks, David S; Meissner, Christopher; Novy, Dennis, 2010. "Trade Booms, Trade Busts and Trade Costs," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 33, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2009. "Trade Booms, Trade Busts, and Trade Costs," CESifo Working Paper Series 2767, CESifo Group Munich.
- Markus Lampe, 2011. "Explaining nineteenth‐century bilateralism: economic and political determinants of the Cobden–Chevalier network," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 64(2), pages 644-668, 05.
- Lampe, Markus, 2010. "Explaining nineteenth-century bilateralism: economic and political determinants of the Cobden-Chevalier network," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp10-06, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Markus Lampe, 2010. "Explaining Nineteenth-Century Bilateralism: Economic and Political Determinants of the Cobden-Chevalier Network," CQE Working Papers 1410, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- O'Rourke, Kevin H, 2000. "Tariffs and Growth in the Late 19th Century," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(463), pages 456-483, April.
- O'Rourke, K, 1997. "Tariffs and Growth in the Late 19th Century," Papers 97/18, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Stéphane BECUWE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Bertrand BLANCHETON (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2012. "The dispersion of customs tariffs in France between 1850 and 1913: discrimination in trade policy," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-13, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Stéphane Bécuwe & Bertrand Blancheton, 2014. "The Dispersion of Customs Tariffs in France between 1850 and 1913: Discrimination in Trade Policy," Post-Print hal-01134746, HAL.
- Lampe, Markus, 2009. "Effects of Bilateralism and the MFN Clause on International Trade: Evidence for the Cobden-Chevalier Network, 1860-1875," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(04), pages 1012-1040, December.
- Markus Lampe, 2009. "Effects of Bilateralism and the MFN Clause on International Trade – Evidence for the Cobden-Chevalier Network, (1860-1875)," CQE Working Papers 0209, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- J-C.Asselain & B.Blancheton, 2005. "Dynamique de l'ouverture internationale. Paradoxes, enjeux, éléments d'interprétation à partir du cas de la France," Economies et Sociétés (Serie 'Histoire Economique Quantitative'), Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), issue 32, pages 49-179, January.
- Jean-Charles Asselain & Bertrand Blancheton, 2005. "Dynamique de l'ouverture internationale. Paradoxe, enjeux éléments d'interprétation à partir du cas de la France," Post-Print hal-00157046, HAL.
- Bertrand Blancheton & Jean-Charles Asselain, 2008. "L'ouverture internationale en perspective historique. Statut analytique du coefficient d'ouverture et application au cas de la France," Post-Print hal-00249968, HAL.
- Tena-Junguito, Antonio, 2010. "Bairoch revisited: tariff structure and growth in the late nineteenth century," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 111-143, April.
- Jacks, David S. & Meissner, Christopher M. & Novy, Dennis, 2010. "Trade costs in the first wave of globalization," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 127-141, April.
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2006. "Trade Costs in the First Wave of Globalization," NBER Working Papers 12602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moritz Schularick & Solomos Solomou, 2011. "Tariffs and economic growth in the first era of globalization," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 33-70, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2012-22. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.