Why did Switzerland succeed? An analysis of Swiss specializations (1885-1905)
The singularity of the Swiss economy during the first globalization is a well-known subject in historiography. Many authors highlight the role of institutions, the size of the country or the weak influence of the lobbies on economic decisions to explain the high economic growth from the 1880’s. Using an original and highly disaggregated database, this article takes into account the Swiss choices in terms of industrial specializations. We found out that the development of modern specializations as well as a move upmarket in the “old” specializations can be one of the explanations of the Swiss ‘miracle’.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- O'Rourke, K, 1997.
"Tariffs and Growth in the Late 19th Century,"
97/18, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- David, Thomas & Mach, Andre, 2006. "Institutions and Economic Growth: The Successful Experience of Switzerland (1870-1950)," WIDER Working Paper Series 101, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Hubert Bonin & Bertrand Blancheton, 2009. "La croissance en économie ouverte (XVIIIe-XXIe siècles). Hommage à Jean-Charles Asselain," Post-Print hal-00383129, HAL.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2002. "Interpreting the Tariff-Growth Correlation of the Late Nineteenth Century," NBER Working Papers 8739, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stéphane BECUWE (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Bertrand BLANCHETON (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113) & Léo CHARLES (GREThA, CNRS, UMR 5113), 2012. "The decline of French trade power during the first globalization (1850-1913)," Cahiers du GREThA 2012-22, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Stéphane Becuwe, 1989. "Les déterminants macro-économiques du commerce intra-branche de la France : une approche de long terme (1850-1980)," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 40(5), pages 863-886.
- Tena-Junguito, Antonio, 2010. "Bairoch revisited: tariff structure and growth in the late nineteenth century," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 111-143, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2013-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.