First globalization: Why did France miss the boat?
Starting from Bairoch’s observation of declining French foreign trade, especially in emerging markets during the first globalization (1880-1914), this article endeavours to identify the sources for the failure to exploit the opportunities afforded by global economic growth after 1870. For this purpose a comprehensive dataset of French imports and exports of unparalleled size was assembled to investigate the changes these underwent both in geographical and product distribution over a period of 64 years. Applying standard tests of trade flow concentration, we find that France’s trade structure reflected its early intra-industry specialization which implied increasing reliance on ‘proximity’ markets.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex|
Phone: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.75
Fax: +33 (0)126.96.36.199.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2009.
"Trade Booms, Trade Busts, and Trade Costs,"
NBER Working Papers
15267, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2009. "Trade Booms, Trade Busts, and Trade Costs," CESifo Working Paper Series 2767, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jacks, David S; Meissner, Christopher; Novy, Dennis, 2010. "Trade Booms, Trade Busts and Trade Costs," CAGE Online Working Paper Series 33, Competitive Advantage in the Global Economy (CAGE).
- Weiller, Jean Sylvain, 1971. "Long-run Tendencies in Foreign Trade: With a Statistical Study of French Trade Structure 1871–1939," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 31(04), pages 804-821, December.
- J-C.Asselain & B.Blancheton, 2005.
"Dynamique de l'ouverture internationale. Paradoxes, enjeux, éléments d'interprétation à partir du cas de la France,"
Economies et Sociétés (Serie 'Histoire Economique Quantitative'),
Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), issue 32, pages 49-179, January.
- Jean-Charles Asselain & Bertrand Blancheton, 2005. "Dynamique de l'ouverture internationale. Paradoxe, enjeux éléments d'interprétation à partir du cas de la France," Post-Print hal-00157046, HAL.
- Tena-Junguito, Antonio, 2010. "Bairoch revisited: tariff structure and growth in the late nineteenth century," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 111-143, April.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, September.
- Béatrice Dedinger, 2012. "The Franco-German trade puzzle: an analysis of the economic consequences of the Franco-Prussian war," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 65(3), pages 1029-1054, 08.
- Markus Lampe, 2011.
"Explaining nineteenth‐century bilateralism: economic and political determinants of the Cobden–Chevalier network,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 64(2), pages 644-668, 05.
- Lampe, Markus, 2010. "Explaining nineteenth-century bilateralism: economic and political determinants of the Cobden-Chevalier network," IFCS - Working Papers in Economic History.WH wp10-06, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Instituto Figuerola.
- Markus Lampe, 2010. "Explaining Nineteenth-Century Bilateralism: Economic and Political Determinants of the Cobden-Chevalier Network," CQE Working Papers 1410, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Markus Lampe, 2009.
"Effects of Bilateralism and the MFN Clause on International Trade – Evidence for the Cobden-Chevalier Network, (1860-1875),"
CQE Working Papers
0209, Center for Quantitative Economics (CQE), University of Muenster.
- Lampe, Markus, 2009. "Effects of Bilateralism and the MFN Clause on International Trade: Evidence for the Cobden-Chevalier Network, 1860-1875," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 69(04), pages 1012-1040, December.
- David S. Jacks & Christopher M. Meissner & Dennis Novy, 2006.
"Trade Costs in the First Wave of Globalization,"
NBER Working Papers
12602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Falvey, Rodney E., 1981. "Commercial policy and intra-industry trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 495-511, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grt:wpegrt:2013-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Emmanuel Petit)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.