The internationalisation of the French aerospace industry in the 1990s: a break with the past? (In French)
The 1990s are often described as the decade when the aerospace industry broke with the past. The drop in military orders that occurred early in the decade, the adoption in both the defence and civil markets of more competitive modes of regulation, the arrival at maturity of several big civil programmes and a host of privatisations - all had a durable impact on the aerospace industry in France. A general consensus exists about these changes, but few empirical studies have actually tried to measure the extent of their impact on the sector. To make up for this, we have carried out a statistical study of the structural transformations befalling the aerospace industry through the analysis of one specific problem: firms’ internationalisation. We have used four databases, including for the first time the EEIG survey of intra-firm trade, to assess whether French firms did in fact deeply modify their internationalisation behaviour over the period 1993-1999. We come to mixed conclusions, the suggestion being that what the sector experienced was more of an evolution than a major upheaval. Although certain components of firms’ internationalisation trajectories were clearly altered (like the French State’s presence in the sector or sales internationalisation), others evolved much more slowly (like foreign companies’ penetration in France and French companies’ productive internationalisation). Summarily, we can say that productive internationalisation remained modest in comparison with sales internationalisation.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://gres.u-bordeaux4.fr/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude Serfati, 2001. "The Adaptability Of The French Armaments Industry In An Era Of Globalization," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 221-239.
- Yannick LUNG (E3i, IFReDE-GRES & GERPISA), 2005. "The link between the diversity of productive models and the variety of capitalisms," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2005-17, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- MAZAUD Frédéric (LEREPS-GRES), 2006. "Change of the First Tier Supplier function and Pivot Firm, the case of the productive organization Airbus (In French)," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2006-12, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Vincent Frigant & Med Kechidi & Damien Talbot, 2006. "Les territoires de l'aéronautique : EADS, entre mondialisation et ancrage," Post-Print hal-00257451, HAL.
- Vincent Frigant & Sophie Cancel & Christophe Carrincazeaux & Michel Daynac & Yannick Lung, 2004. "Internationalisation et redéploiement des industries de défense : quelles conséquences pour la base industrielle et technologique de la Défense ?," Post-Print hal-00185955, HAL.
- Carrincazeaux, Christophe & Lung, Yannick & Rallet, Alain, 2001. "Proximity and localisation of corporate R&D activities," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 777-789, May.
- Pierre Dussauge & Bernard Garrette, 1995. "Determinants of Success in International Strategic Alliances: Evidence from the Global Aerospace Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 26(3), pages 505-530, September.
- Med Kechidi & Damien Talbot, 2006. "L'industrie aéronautique et spatiale : logique d'arsenal, logique commerciale," Post-Print hal-00153227, HAL.
- Med KECHIDI (LEREPS-GRES), 2006. "The dynamics of the vertical relations in the aeronautics: An analysis of the subcontracting relationships of Airbus (In French)," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2006-10, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Élisabeth Lefebvre & Louis A. Lefebvre, 1997. "Global Strategic Benchmarking, Critical Capabilities and Performance of Aerospace Subcontractors," CIRANO Working Papers 97s-10, CIRANO.
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005.
"Technological determinism and modularity : lessons from a comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe,"
- Vincent Frigant & Damien Talbot, 2005. "Technological Determinism and Modularity: Lessons from a Comparison between Aircraft and Auto Industries in Europe," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 337-355.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:grs:wpegrs:2006-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.