The impact of demographic dynamics on economic development, poverty and inequality in Mozambique
In this paper, we analyze whether current demographic dynamics in Mozambique are likely to reduce per capita growth and poverty reduction. The findings suggest that population dynamics do not appear to be a major driver of changes in growth of per capita incomes, poverty, or inequality. At the macro level this can be seen at the off-setting effects of population growth on the one hand and the potential to reap the benefits of a demographic gift and higher population density on the other. At the micro level, it is clear that household size has not changed drastically and the existing negative impact of household size on poverty and inequality appears to have fallen in recent years, particularly in rural areas. Thus demographic dynamics have helped support rising per capita incomes and falling poverty rather than hindering it.
|Date of creation:||01 May 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3 - D-37073 Göttingen|
Web page: http://www.economics.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephan Klasen, 2005. "Population Growth, (Per Capita) Economic Growth, and Poverty Reduction in Uganda: Theory and Evidence," Departmental Discussion Papers 125, University of Goettingen, Department of Economics.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew D. Mellinger, 1998. "Geography and Economic Development," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1856, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 1997. "Poor areas, or only poor people?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1798, The World Bank.
- John Luke Gallup & Jeffrey D. Sachs & Andrew D. Mellinger, 1998. "Geography and Economic Development," NBER Working Papers 6849, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:8:y:1973:i:4:p:436-455 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:vwldps:126. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Schroeter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.