Mutual Recognition Agreements and Trade Diversion: Consequences for Developing Nations
This paper presents a baseline model that illustrates the implications of Mutual Recognition Agreements (MRAs) for excluded nations. The model shows that MRAs can harm third country exports because of a trade-diversion effect. We use highly disaggregated trade data from developed and developing nations to test whether or not MRAs have a negative effect on exports from excluded nations. In particular, we focus on the impact of a North-North MRA on the South. We find empirical evidence in support of the model; the MRA between the EU and the USA has harmed exports from Canada and the group of developing countries included in the study.
|Date of creation:||26 Oct 2006|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Riezman, Raymond, 1991.
"Dynamic tariffs with asymmetric information,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(3-4), pages 267-283, May.
- Green, Edward J. & Porter, Robert H., 1982.
"Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information,"
367, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Green, Edward J & Porter, Robert H, 1984. "Noncooperative Collusion under Imperfect Price Information," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(1), pages 87-100, January.
- Edward J Green & Robert H Porter, 1997. "Noncooperative Collusion Under Imperfect Price Information," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1147, David K. Levine.
- Richard Baldwin & Daria Taglioni, 2006.
"Gravity for Dummies and Dummies for Gravity Equations,"
NBER Working Papers
12516, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Taglioni, Daria, 2006. "Gravity for Dummies and Dummies for Gravity Equations," CEPR Discussion Papers 5850, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Wilson, John S. & Tsunehiro Otsuki, 2000. "Quantifying the impact of technical barriers to trade : a framework for analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2512, The World Bank.
- Suwa Eisenmann, Akiko & Verdier, Thierry, 2002. "Reciprocity and the Political Economy of Harmonization and Mutual Recognition of Regulatory Measures," CEPR Discussion Papers 3147, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harsanyi, John C., 1994.
"Games with Incomplete Information,"
Nobel Prize in Economics documents
1994-1, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2000. "Regulatory Protectionism, Developing Nations and a Two-Tier World Trade System," CEPR Discussion Papers 2574, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John C. Harsanyi, 1967. "Games with Incomplete Information Played by "Bayesian" Players, I-III Part I. The Basic Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(3), pages 159-182, November.
- Jacques Pelkmans, 2003. "Mutual Recognition in Goods and Services: An Economic Perspective," Economics Working Papers 016, European Network of Economic Policy Research Institutes.
- Robert W. Staiger & Kyle Bagwell, 1999.
"An Economic Theory of GATT,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(1), pages 215-248, March.
- Maggie Xiaoyang Chen & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008.
"Regionalism in standards: good or bad for trade?,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(3), pages 838-863, August.
- Maggie X. Chen & Aaditya Mattoo, 2008. "Regionalism in Standards: Good or Bad for Trade?," Working Papers 2009-14, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Chen, Maggie Xiaoyang & Mattoo, Aaditya, 2004. "Regionalism in standards - good or bad for trade?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3458, The World Bank.
- Alberto Amurgo Pacheco, 2006. "Institutions and Deep Integration," IHEID Working Papers 07-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- H. Lutz, Stefan, 2000.
"Trade Effects of Minimum Quality Standards with and without Deterred Entry,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 15, pages 314-344.
- Lutz, Stefan, 1996. "Trade Effects of Minimum Quality Standards with and without Deterred Entry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1384, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heiwp20-2006. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Sokolova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.