The Treatment of Agriculture in Regional Trade Agreements in the Americas
In the last years, intra-regional and extra-regional bilateral trade agreements have proliferated in the developing world, particularly in Asia and the Americas, where countries often belong to more than two agreements. The countries of Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) have formed nearly three dozen regional trade agreements (RTAs) notified to the World Trade Organization (WTO) and more continue to be negotiated. The purpose of this paper is to map the treatment of this sector in RTAs, analyze the depth of the related commitments, and examine the extent to which commitments under the RTAs in the Americas can impact the trade flow of agricultural products among parties. The paper covers market access commitments, subsidies, safeguards, technical barriers to trade, SPS, and other provisions pertaining to the agricultural sector. The impact on trade flows of some sensitive products, such as beef and milk, will be given specific analysis.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/publications/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Su, Jianlan & Lin, Shiwen & Liu, Na, 2009. "Introduction of Rural Ecological Environment and Circular Economy Development Mode of Eco-agriculture and Forestry," Asian Agricultural Research, USA-China Science and Culture Media Corporation, vol. 1(10), October.
- Richard Baldwin, 2006.
"Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade,"
NBER Working Papers
12545, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(11), pages 1451-1518, November.
- Richard E. Baldwin, 2011. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocks on the Path to Global Free Trade," Chapters, in: International Handbook on the Economics of Integration, Volume I, chapter 2 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Richard Baldwin, 2007. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Sphagetti Bowls as building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," Working Papers id:1231, eSocialSciences.
- Baldwin, Richard, 2006. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Spaghetti Bowls as Building Blocs on the Path to Global Free Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 5775, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zhai, Fan & Lin, Tun & Byambadorj, Enerelt, 2009.
"A General Equilibrium Analysis of the Impact of Climate Change on Agriculture in the People’s Republic of China,"
Asian Development Review,
Asian Development Bank, vol. 26(1), pages 206-225.
- Zhai, Fan & Lin, Tun & Byambadorj, Enerelt, 2009. "A general equilibrium analysis of the impact of climate change on agriculture in the People's Republic of China," MPRA Paper 21127, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wilfred J. Ethier, 1998.
"Regionalism in a Multilateral World,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(6), pages 1214-1245, December.
- Wu, Zhe & Li, Jing, 2009. "Effects of Land Circulation on the Development of Modern Agriculture," Asian Agricultural Research, USA-China Science and Culture Media Corporation, vol. 1(10), October.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Richard E. Baldwin, 2006.
"Shape of a Swiss-US Free Trade Agreement, The,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa76, January.
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Richard E. Baldwin, 2006. "Shape of a Swiss-US Free Trade Agreement, The," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa76, February.
- Aldaz-Carroll, Enrique, 2006. "Regional approaches to better standards systems," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3948, The World Bank.
- Matthew Shearer & Kati Suominen & Antoni Estevadeordal, 2009. "Multilateralising RTAs in the Americas: State of Play and Ways Forward," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 9300, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Kaye-Blake, William & Li, Frank Y. & Martin, A. McLeish & McDermott, Alan & Neil, Hayley & Rains, Scott, 2009. "A review of Multi-Agent Simulation Models in Agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 27-28, 2009, Nelson, New Zealand 97165, New Zealand Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Josling, Timothy E., 2009. "Why Trade Negotiations Still Matter to U.S. Agriculture," Policy Issues 93682, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- repec:idb:brikps:20098 is not listed on IDEAS
- Antoni Estevadeordal & Kati Suominen, 2005. "Rules of Origin in Preferential Trading Arrangements: Is All Well with the Spaghetti Bowl in the Americas?," ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, ECONOMIA JOURNAL OF THE LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION, vol. 0(Spring 20), pages 63-103, January.
- Alberto AMURGO PACHECO, 2006. "Mutual Recognition Agreements and Trade Diversion: Consequences for Developing Nations," IHEID Working Papers 20-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised Jun 2007.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:brikps:26158. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.