Confirming information flows in networks
Social networks, be it on the internet or in real life, facilitate information flows. We model this by giving agents incentives to link with others and receive information through those links. We consider networks where agents have an incentive to confirm the information they receive from others. Our paper analyzes the social networks that are formed. We first study the existence of Nash equilibria and then characterize the set of strict Nash networks. Next, we characterize the set of strictly efficient networks and discuss the relationship between strictly efficient networks and strict Nash networks. Finally, we check the robustness of our results by allowing for heterogeneity among agents, possibility of bilateral deviations of agents, and decay in network.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0033) 4 76 82 54 39
Web page: http://www.grenoble.inra.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011. "Strict Nash networks and partner heterogeneity," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 515-525, August.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011.
"Resources Flows Asymmetries in Strict Nash Networks with Partner Heterogeneity,"
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011. "Resources Flows Asymmetries in Strict Nash Networks with Partner Heterogeneity," Working Papers 1108, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Haller, Hans & Sarangi, Sudipta, 2005. "Nash networks with heterogeneous links," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 181-201, September.
- K. de Jaegher & J.J.A. Kamphorst, 2009.
"Two-way Flow Networks with Small Decay,"
09-34, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Galeotti, Andrea & Goyal, Sanjeev & Kamphorst, Jurjen, 2006.
"Network formation with heterogeneous players,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 353-372, February.
- Bala, V. & Goyal, S., 1995.
"Learning from Neighbors,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9549-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Asher Wolinsky, 1995.
"A Strategic Model of Social and Economic Networks,"
1098R, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "original papers : A strategic analysis of network reliability," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 205-228.
- Kim, Chongmin & Wong, Kam-Chau, 2007. "Network formation and stable equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 133(1), pages 536-549, March.
- Andrea Galeotti & Sanjeev Goyal, 2010.
"The Law of the Few,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1468-92, September.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011. "Nash Networks With Imperfect Reliability And Heterogeous Players," International Game Theory Review (IGTR), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 13(02), pages 181-194.
- K. de Jaegher & J.J.A. Kamphorst, 2008. "Network formation with decreasing marginal benefits of information," Working Papers 08-16, Utrecht School of Economics.
- repec:use:tkiwps:1616 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hojman, Daniel A. & Szeidl, Adam, 2008. "Core and periphery in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 295-309, March.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard, . "On the Interaction between Heterogeneity and Decay in Directed Networks," Departmental Working Papers 2010-04, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "A Noncooperative Model of Network Formation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1181-1230, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gbl:wpaper:2013-06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Agnès Vertier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.