Existence of Nash Networks and Partner Heterogeneity
In this paper, we pursue the work of H. Haller and al. (2005, ) and examine the existence of equilibrium networks, called Nash networks, in the noncooperative two-way flow model (Bala and Goyal, 2000, ) with partner heterogeneous agents. We show through an example that Nash networks do not always exist in such a context. We then restrict the payoff function, in order to find conditions under which Nash networks always exist. We give two properties : increasing differences and convexity in the first argument of the payoff function, that ensure the existence of Nash networks. It is worth noting that linear payoff functions satisfy the previous properties.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Working paper GATE 2011-11. 2011|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00574277|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011.
"Strict Nash networks and partner heterogeneity,"
- Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard, .
"Existence of Nash Networks in One-Way Flow Models,"
Departmental Working Papers
2006-05, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard, 2005. "A Note on the Characterization of Nash Networks," Post-Print hal-00372481, HAL.
- Billand, Pascal & Bravard, Christophe, 2005. "A note on the characterization of Nash networks," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 355-365, May.
- Andrea Galeotti, 2006. "One-way flow networks: the role of heterogeneity," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 29(1), pages 163-179, September.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:79:p:1-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Galeotti, Andrea & Goyal, Sanjeev & Kamphorst, Jurjen, 2003.
"Network Formation with Heterogeneous Players,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2996, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Jean Derks & Martijn Tennekes, 2009. "A note on the existence of Nash networks in one-way flow models," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 41(3), pages 515-522, December.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "A Noncooperative Model of Network Formation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1181-1230, September.
- Hans Haller & Jurjen Kamphorst & Sudipta Sarangi, 2007.
"(Non-)existence and Scope of Nash Networks,"
Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 31(3), pages 597-604, June.
- Haller, Hans & Sarangi, Sudipta, 2005. "Nash networks with heterogeneous links," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 181-201, September.
- Francis Bloch & Bhaskar Dutta, 2008.
"Communication networks with endogeneous link strength,"
Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers
08-15, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2009. "Communication networks with endogenous link strength," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 39-56, May.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2005. "Communication Networks with Endogenous Link Strength," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 723, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "original papers : A strategic analysis of network reliability," Review of Economic Design, Springer;Society for Economic Design, vol. 5(3), pages 205-228.
- Hojman, Daniel A. & Szeidl, Adam, 2008. "Core and periphery in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 295-309, March.
- Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand, 2008. "A Note on Existence of Nash Networks in One-way Flow," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(79), pages 1-4.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00574277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.