Existence of Nash Networks and Partner Heterogeneity
In this paper, we pursue the work of H. Haller and al. (2005, ) and examine the existence of equilibrium networks, called Nash networks, in the noncooperative two-way flow model (Bala and Goyal, 2000, ) with partner heterogeneous agents. We show through an example that Nash networks do not always exist in such a context. We then restrict the payoff function, in order to find conditions under which Nash networks always exist. We give two properties : increasing differences and convexity in the first argument of the payoff function, that ensure the existence of Nash networks. It is worth noting that linear payoff functions satisfy the previous properties.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00574277/en/|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/ |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Billand, Pascal & Bravard, Christophe, 2005. "A note on the characterization of Nash networks," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 355-365, May.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2008.
"Existence of Nash networks in one-way flow models,"
Springer, vol. 37(3), pages 491-507, December.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard, . "Existence of Nash Networks in One-Way Flow Models," Departmental Working Papers 2006-05, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2007. "Existence of Nash Networks in One-Way Flow Models," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 751, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2008:i:79:p:1-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "A Noncooperative Model of Network Formation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1181-1230, September.
- Haller, Hans & Sarangi, Sudipta, 2005. "Nash networks with heterogeneous links," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 181-201, September.
- Andrea Galeotti & Sanjeev Goyal & Jurjen Kamphorst, 2003.
"Network Formation with Heterogeneous Players,"
Economics Discussion Papers
562, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2009.
"Communication networks with endogenous link strength,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 39-56, May.
- Francis Bloch & Bhaskar Dutta, 2008. "Communication networks with endogeneous link strength," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-15, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Bloch, Francis & Dutta, Bhaskar, 2005. "Communication Networks with Endogenous Link Strength," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 723, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Hans Haller & Jurjen Kamphorst, .
"(Non-)Existence and Scope of Nash Networks,"
Departmental Working Papers
2005-14, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Jean Derks & Martijn Tennekes, 2009. "A note on the existence of Nash networks in one-way flow models," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 41(3), pages 515-522, December.
- Hojman, Daniel A. & Szeidl, Adam, 2008. "Core and periphery in networks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 295-309, March.
- Pascal Billand & Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi, 2011. "Strict Nash networks and partner heterogeneity," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 515-525, August.
- Christophe Bravard & Sudipta Sarangi & Pascal Billand, 2008. "A Note on Existence of Nash Networks in One-way Flow," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 3(79), pages 1-4.
- Venkatesh Bala & Sanjeev Goyal, 2000. "original papers : A strategic analysis of network reliability," Review of Economic Design, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 205-228.
- Andrea Galeotti, 2006. "One-way flow networks: the role of heterogeneity," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 163-179, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00574277. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.