Physicians’ balance billing, supplemental insurance and access to health care
Some countries allow physicians to balance bill patients, that is, to bill a fee above the one that is negotiated with, and reimbursed by the health authorities. Balance billing is known for restricting access to physicians’ services while supplemental insurance against balance billing amounts is supposed to alleviate the access problem. This paper analyzes in a theoretical setting the consequences of balance billing on the fees setting and on the inequality of access among the users of physicians’ services. It also shows that supplemental insurance against the expenses associated with balance billing, rather than alleviating the access problem, increases it.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Agnes Couffinhal, 2004. "Private Health Insurance in France," OECD Health Working Papers 12, OECD Publishing.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Agnès Couffinhal & Michel Grignon & Marc Perronnin, 2004.
"Access to physician services: does supplemental insurance matter? Evidence from France,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 669-687.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Agnès Couffinhal & Michel Grignon & Marc Perronin, 2002. "Access to Physician Services: Does Supplemental Insurance Matter? Evidence from France," NBER Working Papers 9238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mathias Kifmann & Florian Scheuer, 2011. "Balance billing: the patients' perspective," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, December.
- Glazer, Jacob & Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 1993. "Should physicians be permitted to 'balance bill' patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 239-258, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gat:wpaper:1305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.