Physicians’ balance billing, supplemental insurance and access to health care
Some countries allow physicians to balance bill patients, that is, to bill a fee above the one that is negotiated with, and reimbursed by the health authorities. Balance billing is known for restricting access to physicians’ services while supplemental insurance against balance billing amounts is supposed to alleviate the access problem. This paper analyzes in a theoretical setting the consequences of balance billing on the fees setting and on the inequality of access among the users of physicians’ services. It also shows that supplemental insurance against the expenses associated with balance billing, rather than alleviating the access problem, increases it.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 93, chemin des Mouilles - B.P.167 69131 - Ecully cedex|
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mathias Kifmann & Florian Scheuer, 2011. "Balance billing: the patients' perspective," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 1-14, December.
- Chiappori, Pierre-Andre & Durand, Franck & Geoffard, Pierre-Yves, 1998.
"Moral hazard and the demand for physician services: First lessons from a French natural experiment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(3-5), pages 499-511, May.
- Chiappori, P.A. & Durand, F. & Geoffard, P.Y., 1998. "Moral Hazard and the Demand for Physician Services: First Lessons from a French Natural Experiment," DELTA Working Papers 98-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Barros, Pedro Luis Pita & Machado, Matilde Pinto & Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna, 2006.
"Moral Hazard and the Demand for Health Services: A Matching Estimator Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5488, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barros, Pedro Pita & Machado, Matilde P. & Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna, 2008. "Moral hazard and the demand for health services: A matching estimator approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 1006-1025, July.
- Machado, Matilde P. & Sanz-de-Galdeano, Anna & Pita-Barros, Pedro, 2005. "Moral hazard and the demand for health services: a matching estimator approach," UC3M Working papers. Economics we055928, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- Erik Schokkaert & Tom van Ourti & Diane De Grave & Ann Lecluyse & Carine Van De Voorde, 2007.
"Supplemental health insurance and equality of access in Belgium,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces0729, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Erik Schokkaert & Tom Van Ourti & Diana De Graeve & Ann Lecluyse & Carine Van de Voorde, 2010. "Supplemental health insurance and equality of access in Belgium," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 377-395.
- SCHOKKAERT, Erik & VAN OURTI, Tom & DE GRAEVE, Diana & LECLUYSE, Ann, . "Supplemental health insurance and equality of access in Belgium," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2197, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Carine Van De Voorde & Eddy Van Doorslaer & Erik Schokkaert, 2001. "Effects of cost sharing on physician utilization under favourable conditions for supplier-induced demand," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(5), pages 457-471.
- Eichner, Matthew J, 1998. "The Demand for Medical Care: What People Pay Does Matter," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 117-21, May.
- Jacob Glazer & Thomas G. McGuire, 1990.
"Should Physicians Be Permitted to 'Balance Bill' Patients,"
0005, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Glazer, Jacob & Glazer, Jacob & McGuire, Thomas G., 1993. "Should physicians be permitted to 'balance bill' patients?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 239-258, October.
- R. G. Beck, 1974. "The Effects of Co-Payment on the Poor," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 9(1), pages 129-142.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Agnès Couffinhal & Michel Grignon & Marc Perronin, 2002.
"Access to Physician Services: Does Supplemental Insurance Matter? Evidence from France,"
NBER Working Papers
9238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Agnès Couffinhal & Michel Grignon & Marc Perronnin, 2004. "Access to physician services: does supplemental insurance matter? Evidence from France," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(7), pages 669-687.
- Thomas C. Buchmueller & Agnes Couffinhal, 2004. "Private Health Insurance in France," OECD Health Working Papers 12, OECD Publishing.
- Valérie Paris & Marion Devaux & Lihan Wei, 2010. "Health Systems Institutional Characteristics: A Survey of 29 OECD Countries," OECD Health Working Papers 50, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gat:wpaper:1305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.