Risk of Firm Closure and Wages in Brazil: Compensating Wage Di erentials or Bargaining Concessions?
The economic theory proposes two hypotheses for the relationship between wages and risk of job loss due to rm (or plant) closure. The rst hypothesis posits that workers at greater risk should be compensated by higher wages. This is known as the theory of compensating wage diferentials. The second hypothesis states that workers at rms with a greater risk of closure would be willing to exchange higher wages for longer-term stability in the job. This is known as the theory of bargaining concessions. There is a paucity of empirical studies on this issue, and the results have been inconsistent. The aim of this paper is to provide evidence for the Brazilian manufacturing industry. To accomplish that, diferent risk measures, diferent databases, and di erent econometric methods are used. All the tests performed in this study con rm the theory of compensating wage diferentials.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Note:||Creation Date corresponds to the year in which the paper was published on the Department of Economics website. The paper may have been written a small number of months before its publication date.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Prefeito Lothário Meissner, 632 - térreo, Bairro Jardim Botânico, 80210-170 Curitiba - PR|
Web page: http://www.economiaetecnologia.ufpr.br/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2003.
"Wages and the Risk of Displacement,"
CEF.UP Working Papers
0308, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Anabela Carneiro & Pedro Portugal, 2003. "Wages and the Risk of Displacement," Working Papers w200310, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2010. "Wages and the risk of displacement," Working Paper Series 1159, European Central Bank.
- Carneiro, Anabela & Portugal, Pedro, 2006. "Wages and the Risk of Displacement," IZA Discussion Papers 1926, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J., 1990. "Wages And The Risk Of Plant Closing," Papers 6-90-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Omar M. G. Keshk, 2003. "CDSIMEQ: A program to implement two-stage probit least squares," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 157-167, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fup:wpaper:0077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luciano Nakabashi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.