Review of input and output policies for cereals production in Pakistan:
The marketing of farm inputs and outputs has become a major problem for farmers in Pakistan. Farm input supplies are irregular, characterized by shortages and high prices at critical times. This report reviews the input and output policies for cereals implemented in Pakistan during the period 1996â€“2010. Pakistan has a long and varied history of intervening in farm input and output markets, going back decades before the period under review. Most significantly, in the wake of economic reforms launched during the 1980s, it has withdrawn from most of the commodity markets except wheat. In other commodity markets, intervention is by and large notional and without much practical involvement. The rolling back of the public sector from markets has certainly saved public funds, but the savings have come at a cost. Some of the cost, in terms of higher prices and variability stemming from the uncertain economic environment and supply, is borne by consumers, and some, in terms of lower producer prices at harvest, is borne by farmers, especially small and medium farmers, whose farms account for more than 50 percent of the area under cereals.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1201 Eye Street, NW, Washington, DC 20005-3915|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdul Salam, 1981. "Farm Tractorization, Fertilizer Use and Productivity of Mexican Wheatin Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 20(3), pages 323-345.
- Paul Dorosh & Abdul Salam, 2008.
"Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan: An Analysis of Policy Options,"
The Pakistan Development Review,
Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(1), pages 71-87.
- Dorosh, Paul & Salam, Abdul, 2006. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan: An Analysis of Policy Options," MPRA Paper 2244, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Dorosh & Abdul Salam, 2006. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan : An Analysis of Policy Options," Microeconomics Working Papers 22188, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Paul Dorosh & Abdul Salam, 2006. "Wheat Markets and Price Stabilisation in Pakistan: An Analysis of Policy Options," PIDE-Working Papers 2006:5, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Beintema, Nienke M. & Stads, Gert-Jan, 2008. "Agricultural R&D capacity and investments in the Asia–Pacific region:," Research briefs 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI). Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)