Soil and water conservation technologies: A buffer against production risk in the face of climate change?: Insights from the Nile Basin in Ethiopia
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Edward Kato & Claudia Ringler & Mahmud Yesuf & Elizabeth Bryan, 2011. "Soil and water conservation technologies: a buffer against production risk in the face of climate change? Insights from the Nile basin in Ethiopia," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(5), pages 593-604, September.
References listed on IDEAS
- Menale Kassie & John Pender & Mahmud Yesuf & Gunnar Kohlin & Randy Bluffstone & Elias Mulugeta, 2008. "Estimating returns to soil conservation adoption in the northern Ethiopian highlands," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 38(2), pages 213-232, March.
- Nkonya, Ephraim & Pender, John & Kaizzi, Kayuki C. & Kato, Edward & Mugarura, Samuel & Ssali, Henry & Muwonge, James, 2008. "Linkages between land management, land degradation, and poverty in Sub-Saharan Africa: The case of Uganda," Research reports 159, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Byiringiro, Fidele Usabuwera & Reardon, Thomas, 1996.
"Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Byiringiro, Fidele & Reardon, Thomas, 1996. "Farm productivity in Rwanda: effects of farm size, erosion, and soil conservation investments," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 127-136, November.
- Kim, Kwansoo & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2003.
"Technological change and risk management: an application to the economics of corn production,"
Blackwell, pages 125-142.
- Kim, Kwansoo & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2003. "Technological change and risk management: an application to the economics of corn production," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 29(2), October.
- Kim, Kwansoo & Chavas, Jean-Paul, 2001. "Technological Change And Risk Management: An Application To The Economics Of Corn Production," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20605, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dercon, Stefan, 2004. "Growth and shocks: evidence from rural Ethiopia," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, pages 309-329.
- Yesuf, Mahmud & Bluffstone, Randy, 2007. "Risk aversion in low income countries: Experimental evidence from Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 715, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Deressa, Temesgen & Hassan, R. M. & Alemu, Tekie & Yesuf, Mahmud & Ringler, Claudia, 2008. "Analyzing the determinants of farmers' choice of adaptation methods and perceptions of climate change in the Nile Basin of Ethiopia:," IFPRI discussion papers 798, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Griffin, Ronald C. & Montgomery, John M. & Rister, M. Edward, 1987. "Selecting Functional Form In Production Function Analysis," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 12(02), December.
- Pender, John & Ssewanyana, Sarah & Edward, Kato & Nkonya, Ephraim M., 2004. "Linkages between poverty and land management in rural Uganda: evidence from the Uganda National Household Survey, 1999/00," EPTD discussion papers 122, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Perrings, Charles, 2005.
"Crop biodiversity, risk management and the implications of agricultural assistance,"
Elsevier, pages 459-466.
- Salvatore Di Falco & Charles Perrings, 2004. "Crop Biodiversity, Risk Management and the Implications of Agricultural Assistance," Working Papers 0084, National University of Ireland Galway, Department of Economics, revised 2004.
- Jansen, Hans G. P. & Pender, John L. & Damon, Amy & Schipper, Rob, 2006. "Rural development policies and sustainable land use in the hillside areas of Honduras: a quantitative livelihoods approach," Research reports 147, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Yesuf, Mahmud & Bluffstone, Randy, 2008. "How can African agriculture adapt to climate change: Risk aversion in low-income countries: Experimental evidence from Ethiopia [in Amharic]," Research briefs 15(16), International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- John Freebairn & Bill Griffiths, 2006. "Introduction," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(s1), pages 1-1, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mulatu Debalke, Negash, 2011. "Determinants of farmers’ preference for adaptation strategies to climate change: evidence from north shoa zone of Amhara region Ethiopia," MPRA Paper 48753, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alice Turinawe & Lars Drake & Johnny Mugisha, 2015. "Adoption intensity of soil and water conservation technologies: a case of South Western Uganda," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 711-730, August.
- Katengeza, Samson P. & Holden, Stein T. & Lunduka, Rodney W., 2016.
"Adoption of Drought Tolerant Maize Varieties under Rainfall Stress in Malawi,"
2016 AAAE Fifth International Conference, September 23-26, 2016, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
246907, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE).
- Katengeza, Samson P. & Holden , Stein T. & Lunduka, Rodney W., 2017. "Adoption of Drought Tolerant Maize Varieties under Rainfall Stress in Malawi," CLTS Working Papers 4/17, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, Centre for Land Tenure Studies.
- Gren, Ing-Marie & Carlsson, Mattias & Elofsson, Katarina & Munnich, Miriam, 2012. "Stochastic carbon sinks for combating carbon dioxide emissions in the EU," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 1523-1531.
- Kato, Edward & Nkonya, Ephraim & Place, Frank M., 2011. "Heterogeneous treatment effects of integrated soil fertility management on crop productivity: Evidence from Nigeria," IFPRI discussion papers 1089, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Elizabeth Bryan & Claudia Ringler & Barrack Okoba & Jawoo Koo & Mario Herrero & Silvia Silvestri, 2013. "Can agriculture support climate change adaptation, greenhouse gas mitigation and rural livelihoods? insights from Kenya," Climatic Change, Springer, vol. 118(2), pages 151-165, May.
- Jolejole-Foreman, Maria Christina & Baylis, Katherine R. & Lipper, Leslie, 2012. "Land Degradation’s Implications on Agricultural Value of Production in Ethiopia: A look inside the bowl," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 126251, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Mintewab Bezabih & Abe Damte Beyene & Zenebe Gebreegziabher & Livousew Borga, 2013. "Social Capital, climate change and soil conservation investment: panel data evidence from the Highlands of Ethiopia," GRI Working Papers 115, Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment.
- Awudu Abdulai & Wallace Huffman, 2014. "The Adoption and Impact of Soil and Water Conservation Technology: An Endogenous Switching Regression Application," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 90(1), pages 26-43.
- Sejabaledi A. Rankoana, 2016. "Perceptions of Climate Change and the Potential for Adaptation in a Rural Community in Limpopo Province, South Africa," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 8(8), pages 1-10, August.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Kumar, Neha, 2014. "Land rights knowledge and conservation in rural Ethiopia: Mind the gender gap:," IFPRI discussion papers 1386, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gebrehaweria Gebregziabher & Lisa-Maria Rebelo & Simon Langan, 2016. "Interdependence in rainwater management technologies: an analysis of rainwater management adoption in the Blue Nile Basin," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 449-466, April.
- Zhou, Li & Turvey, Calum G., 2014. "Climate change, adaptation and China's grain production," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(C), pages 72-89.
- Nastis, Stefanos A. & Michailidis, Anastasios & Mattas, Konstadinos, 2011. "Crop biodiversity repercussions of subsidized organic farming in Greece," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114628, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Nilsson, Pia & Backman, Mikaela & Bjerke, Lina & Maniriho, Aristide, 2017. "One cow per poor family: effects on consumption and crop production in Rwanda," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 462, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Aizhen Li & Boris E. Bravo-Ureta & David K. Okello & Carl M. Deom & Naveen Puppala, 2013. "Groundnut Production and Climatic Variability: Evidence from Uganda," Working Papers 17, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Aberman, Noora-Lisa & Birner, Regina & Haglund, Eric & Ngigi, Marther & Ali, Snigdha & Okoba, Barrack & KonÃ©, Daouda & Alemu, Takei, 2015. "Understanding the policy landscape for climate change adaptation: A cross-country comparison using the Net-map method:," IFPRI discussion papers 1408, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gebregziabher, Gebrehaweria & Rebelo, Lisa-Maria & Notenbaert, A. & Ergano, K. & Abebe, Yenenesh, 2013. "Determinants of adoption of rainwater management technologies among farm households in the Nile River Basin," IWMI Reports 201008, International Water Management Institute.
More about this item
KeywordsJust and Pope; Risk increasing; Risk reducing; Stone bunds; Soil bunds; Waterways; Grass strips; Contours; Soil and water conservation; Low-rainfall areas; High-rainfall areas; Climate change;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2009-10-03 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2009-10-03 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2009-10-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2009-10-03 (Environmental Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:871. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/ifprius.html .