Agricultural extension services and gender equality: An institutional analysis of four districts in Ethiopia
Decentralized delivery of public services has been promoted as a means to enhance citizen voice and make service provision more responsive to users. Ethiopia has undertaken two rounds of decentralization, making first the regional states and then the district governments responsible for providing key public services. This paper explores whether decentralization has improved the quality of service delivery and citizen satisfaction with the services provided, focusing on agricultural extension. Specifically, we examine whether services are responsive to the needs and expressed demands of poor farmers, including women farmers. We focus on the institutional arrangements through which agricultural extension services are provided and how these contribute to efficiency, effectiveness, and equity in service delivery.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 2033 K Street, NW, Washington, DC 20006|
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefan Dercon & Daniel O. Gilligan & John Hoddinott & Tassew Woldehanna, 2009.
"The Impact of Agricultural Extension and Roads on Poverty and Consumption Growth in Fifteen Ethiopian Villages,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1007-1021.
- Dercon, Stefan & Gilligan, Daniel O. & Hoddinott, John & Woldehan, Tassew, 2008. "The impact of agricultural extension and roads on poverty and consumption growth in fifteen Ethiopian villages:," IFPRI discussion papers 840, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Ayele, Gezahegn & Paulos, Zelekawork, 2008.
"The bang for the birr: Public expenditures and rural welfare in Ethiopia,"
160, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Tewodaj Mogues, 2011. "The Bang for the Birr: Public Expenditures and Rural Welfare in Ethiopia," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 47(5), pages 735-752.
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Ayele, Gezahegn & Paulos, Zelekawork, 2007. "The bang for the birr: Public expenditures and rural welfare in Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 702, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ifpri, 2005. "Women: still the key to food and nutrition security," Issue briefs 33, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birner, Regina & Davis, Kristin & Pender, John & Nkonya, Ephraim & Anandajayasekeram, Pooniah & Ekboir, Javier M. & Mbabu, Adiel N. & Spielman, David J. & Horna, Daniela & Benin, Samuel & Kisamba-Muge, 2006. "From "best practice" to "best fit": a framework for designing and analyzing pluralistic agricultural advisory services," Research briefs 4, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birner, Regina, 2007. "Improving governance to eradicate hunger and poverty:," 2020 vision briefs BB33 Special Edition, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Crewett, Wibke & Bogale, Ayalneh & Korf, Benedikt, 2008. "Land tenure in Ethiopia: Continuity and change, shifting rulers, and the quest for state control," CAPRi working papers 91, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Quisumbing, Agnes R, 2005. "Marriage, Bequest, and Assortative Matching in Rural Ethiopia," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 53(2), pages 347-380, January.
- Birner, Regina & Anderson, Jock R., 2007. "How to make agricultural extension demand-driven?: The case of India's agricultural extension policy," IFPRI discussion papers 729, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David J. Spielman & Marc J. Cohen & Tewodaj Mogues, 2009. "Local governance systems and smallholder cooperatives in Ethiopia," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(5/6), pages 388-408.
- Anderson, Jock R. & Feder, Gershon, 2007. "Agricultural Extension," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:ifprid:1094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.