Agricultural wages and food prices in Egypt
The trend in real agricultural wages in Egypt is described well by an inverted U-shaped curve with a peak around 1985. But the rise and fall of real wages masks a complex dynamic process by which nominal wages adjust in response to changes in food prices. We use governorate-level panel data for 1976–1993 to explore the nature of this adjustment process. Our results indicate that nominal wages adjust slowly. There is a significant negative initial impact of rising food prices on real wages, though wages do catch up in the long run.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Richard H., Jr., 1991. "The effects of international remittances on poverty, inequality, and development in rural Egypt:," Research reports 86, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Gaurav Datt & Martin Ravallion, 1998.
"Farm productivity and rural poverty in India,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 62-85.
- Sah, Raaj Kumar & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1987. "Price Scissors and the Structure of the Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(1), pages 109-34, February.
- Grabowski, Richard & Sivan, David, 1986. "The supply of labor in agriculture and food prices: The cases of Japan and Egypt," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 441-447, March.
- Hansen, Bent, 1969. "Employment and Wages in Rural Egypt," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(3), pages 298-313, June.
- Boyce, James K & Ravallion, Martin, 1991. "A Dynamic Econometric Model of Agricultural Wage Determination in Bangladesh," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(4), pages 361-76, November.
- Richards, Alan, 1994. "The Egyptian farm labor market revisited," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 239-261, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:fcnddp:53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.