The Determinants of Trade Agreements in Services vs. Goods
Since Baier and Bergstrand (2004) there has been a focus on empirically testing the economic determinants of signing a free trade agreement (FTA). However, FTAs do not imply an agreement on services; a separate economic integration (EIA) is needed. As trade in services is one of the fastest growing sectors of the global economy, it is important to pay special attention to these agreements. We use the methodology of Baier and Bergstrand (2004) to investigate differences in the determinants of signing an agreement on goods trade and services trade. In addition to the standard economic variables, we include variables for skilled/unskilled labor, and political stability. We fi?nd in general, qualitative similarities (though different magnitudes) and some robust specific differences.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Miami, FL 33199|
Phone: (305) 348-2316
Fax: (305) 348-1524
Web page: http://economics.fiu.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, December.
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, March.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Baldwin, Richard & Jaimovich, Dany, 2012.
"Are Free Trade Agreements contagious?,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 1-16.
- Baldwin, Richard & Jaimovich, Dany, 2009. "Are Free Trade Agreements Contagious?," CCES Discussion Paper Series 12, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Richard Baldwin & Dany Jaimovich, 2010. "Are Free Trade Agreements Contagious?," NBER Working Papers 16084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baldwin, Richard & Jaimovich, Dany, 2010. "Are Free Trade Agreements Contagious?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7904, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Richard Baldwin & Dany Jaimovich, 2009. "Are Free Trade Agreements Contagious?," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd09-057, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Daniel L. McFadden, 1976. "Quantal Choice Analaysis: A Survey," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 5, number 4, pages 363-390 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carolina Lennon, 2009.
"Trade in Services and Trade in Goods: Differences and Complementarities,"
wiiw Working Papers
53, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Carolina Lennon, 2008. "Trade in services and trade in goods: differences and complementarities," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586223, HAL.
- Moritz Schularick & Alan M. Taylor, 2012.
"Credit Booms Gone Bust: Monetary Policy, Leverage Cycles, and Financial Crises, 1870-2008,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 1029-61, April.
- Schularick, Moritz & Taylor, Alan M., 2009. "Credit Booms Gone Bust: Monetary Policy, Leverage Cycles and Financial Crises, 1870-2008," CEPR Discussion Papers 7570, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Moritz Schularick & Alan M. Taylor, 2009. "Credit Booms Gone Bust: Monetary Policy, Leverage Cycles and Financial Crises, 1870-2008," NBER Working Papers 15512, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mario A. Cleves, 2002. "From the help desk: Comparing areas under receiver operating characteristic curves from two or more probit or logit models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(3), pages 301-313, August.
- Daniel McFadden, 1975. "The Revealed Preferences of a Government Bureaucracy: Theory," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 401-416, Autumn.
- Adlung, Rudolf & Roy, Martin, 2005. "Turning hills into mountains? Current commitments under the GATS and prospects for change," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2005-01, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Baier, Scott L. & Bergstrand, Jeffrey H., 2004. "Economic determinants of free trade agreements," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 29-63, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fiu:wpaper:1307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sheng Guo)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.