Modelling the Impact of Overnight Surprises on Intra-daily Volatility
In this paper we evaluate the impact that stock returns recorded between market closing and opening the next business day have on intra-daily volatility. A simple test shows that the estimated volatility clustering of the intra-daily returns may be affected by a market opening surprise bias. An extension of the standard GARCH model is suggested here to include the effect of this surprise and is applied on a sample of largely traded US stocks. The performance of two specifications in which this effect is included is evaluated in an out-of-sample forecasting exercise relative to their standard counterparts.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale G.B. Morgagni, 59 - I-50134 Firenze - Italy|
Phone: +39 055 2751500
Fax: +39 055 2751525
Web page: http://www.disia.unifi.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gallo Giampiero M. & Pacini Barbara, 1998.
"Early News is Good News: The Effects of Market Opening on Market Volatility,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(4), pages 1-19, January.
- Gallo, G.M. & Pacini, B., 1998. "Early News Is Good News. The Effects of Market Opening on Market Volatility," Economics Working Papers eco98/3, European University Institute.
- Amihud, Yakov & Mendelson, Haim, 1987. " Trading Mechanisms and Stock Returns: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(3), pages 533-53, July.
- Clark, Peter K, 1973. "A Subordinated Stochastic Process Model with Finite Variance for Speculative Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 41(1), pages 135-55, January.
- Romer, David, 1993.
"Rational Asset-Price Movements without News,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1112-30, December.
- Gerety, Mason S & Mulherin, J Harold, 1994. "Price Formation on Stock Exchanges: The Evolution of Trading within the Day," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(3), pages 609-29.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor K. Ng, 1991.
"Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility,"
NBER Working Papers
3681, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F & Ng, Victor K, 1993. " Measuring and Testing the Impact of News on Volatility," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1749-78, December.
- Stoll, Hans R & Whaley, Robert E, 1990. "Stock Market Structure and Volatility," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 3(1), pages 37-71.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fir:econom:wp2001_02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Francesco Calvori)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.